061 Heads - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
061 Heads

I bought a 65 GTO that had a 67 400cu in motor but was upgraded with the 65 tri-power . This motor has 061 heads on it. These are the open chamber, big valve heads. The block code is VX, and research told me that it is a 290hp motor from a Catalina. My question: What was the purpose of having these big valve heads on a low horsepower motor? Does anyone know what other 67 motors these heads are found on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 01:50 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
The 061 was the first open chamber head for Pontiac. The only one made in '67. No idea why they seemed to come on 2bbl cats and venturas. I had a junkyard '67 cat 400 with those heads in my first car....a '66 GTO. They are very good heads for a street engine, and my old goat made a ton of power with a tripower bolted on. With an 068 cam and decent gas, yours should be a screamer. 061 heads are little known and undervalued. They are a "semi" open chamber, halfway between the early closed chamber and the later full open chamber. They're great heads, IMO.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

061 Heads

Thanks for the response. I too feel that these are great street heads and as such I have invested a lot of money to upgrade them with hardened seats, Ferrea valves, new springs, new guides cut for the good seals. I also did some minor porting work. I also had the heads cc ed and they were 79cc. The motor is being bored .030 with forged rods and Keith Black flat top pistons. Comp cams 275DE with matched springs and roller rockers will top it off. And I will keep the tri-power!!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 12:16 AM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Garage
I just discovered I had a set. They have been sitting for about 14 years. Came off a junk yard Catalina. They sat so long they were rather rusty. Just sent them to my machine shop to hot tank and check for cracks and will go from there. I am planning on reworking them much like you have. If good, I am replacing the press in studs with screw in, assume you had this done as well. Supposed to be an excellent head due to the chamber shape, even though it has the AIR injection holes.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

I did not have screw in studs put in these heads. The studs were already pinned, and the machine shop was nervous about pulling the old studs with the bosses drilled for the pins. My cam is not so radical that I am worrying about pulling a stud out when I stand on it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 07:00 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by orelog View Post
I did not have screw in studs put in these heads. The studs were already pinned, and the machine shop was nervous about pulling the old studs with the bosses drilled for the pins. My cam is not so radical that I am worrying about pulling a stud out when I stand on it.
Pinned studs should work just fine. The Chevy 409CI used pinned studs from the factory on their Hi-Po heads and I never had a problem with mine, .530" lift. They used to sell kits to do this with in the "old" cam catalogs to secure your studs from pulling out with their radical lift cam offerings. I suspect that screw in studs from the factory was a means to save time/labor/materials over pressing in the stud, drilling the stud, inserting the pin, and its cost.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 05:19 PM
64-67 Expert

X2. Pinned studs will be fine.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 12:34 PM

I was going to open new post on this topic cant find much info on 061 heads . i never removed my heads from motor but i do have screw in studs not sure if 061 have 2.11 1.77 valve or smaller valves i also have a set of 670 heads and was going to build new motor and use a ram air set up . 67 gto with auto witch set would work better for street .the person i got motor from told me the 061 head was a proto type head pontiac tested but i am not so sure .any info would be helpful

Last edited by mbspeed; 02-11-2013 at 12:44 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 02:24 PM
64-67 Expert

061's have the big valves. Not a prototype head, but a production head...the first 'open chamber' Pontiac head. On today's fuel, it would be a better choice than the 670's IMO. You still might need to install dished pistons, though. I would cc the heads and see what the combustion chambers measure out to be. If at 78-80cc, you may be ok to pump premium if all else is right on. The 670's typically run 72cc, and due to their closed chamber design, need a lot of spark advance and super high octane fuel to run right. They are an excellent head, but not for today's fuel.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
061's have the big valves. Not a prototype head, but a production head...the first 'open chamber' Pontiac head. On today's fuel, it would be a better choice than the 670's IMO. You still might need to install dished pistons, though. I would cc the heads and see what the combustion chambers measure out to be. If at 78-80cc, you may be ok to pump premium if all else is right on. The 670's typically run 72cc, and due to their closed chamber design, need a lot of spark advance and super high octane fuel to run right. They are an excellent head, but not for today's fuel.
I do have ross/buttler dish pistons 9.5 cr kit built off the 670 heads for stroker motor i am building i told some one at butler proformance about 061 heads but he did not have lot of info on 061 is there a head that would work better then 061 or 670 for a ram air set up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in