#16 heads - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#16 heads

Is anyone running a 400 with #16 heads, on PUMP gas ?? If so what combo do you need to run?? (lotta talk that they create too much comp.)
Thanks, Duck..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
It can be done on a 400, much harder on a 455. 16's have a nominal chamber size of 72 cc's, so to get the needed clearance volume the "best" solution is usually to run dished pistons.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 10:19 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Garage
If you are rebuilding your engine, Bear is correct. Usually you get the correct pistons with more cc's, aka dished pistons, or you can talk with a cam manufacturer who can "bleed off" some of the compression -type in "static compression verses dynamic compression" into your search engine and get ready for a lesson in compression ratio's. Another trick I have not seen in a long time used to be to add a water/alcohol injection system that was supposed to cool the intake charge on higher compression engines as well as give a little more power. Ever notice how your car runs stronger on a good cool damp night? I have seen a how-to article where the windshield washer pump/container was used and misted into the top of the carb via the air cleaner lid. I have seen kits for sale as well. It kicks in during wide open throttle. Might look into that as an option. I am considering one myself just as a precaution should I ever need it -even though I will have a reasonable compression ratio to run pump gas.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I run pump gas ( premium/ 10 percent ethanol) in mine but don't know if engine was ever rebuilt before I got it 20 some years ago. I drive like an old lady anyway.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacmatt View Post
I run pump gas ( premium/ 10 percent ethanol) in mine but don't know if engine was ever rebuilt before I got it 20 some years ago. I drive like an old lady anyway.
Try using Ethanol Treatment. I use Sunoco 93 oct it has 10% corn/water. . I use Lucas's Ethanol Treatment 1 oz per 5 gallons. I noticed a difference in detonation. Their treatment can be used on E-85 it states, but there is no way in hell that garbage is going in any of my vehicles.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Also, consider this: In my 461, the difference between 9.2:1 compression and 10.0: compression, with no other changes made, is only worth a whopping 8 hp. (in an engine that's already over 500 hp). That makes pushing the envelope on compression to the razor's edge just not worth it.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in