1966 GTO conversion to 49 state emission. - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1966 GTO conversion to 49 state emission.

Hi, I have received and rebuilt correct #93 heads for my '66 with man steering and no A/C. It has now a #92 and a #94 ,-I guess they average OK! I am removing the A.I.R. pump, and got a used alt. bracket. The dr. side valve cover has an oil cap with a tube for the hose from the Calif. air cleaner. OPGI shows a different oil cap for screw-in on a '66, a tall one. What was orig. on federal cars? and what other mods beside air cleaner do I need to do beside vacuum line plugging and timing adjust? Too bad I have rats too. Thanks everybody!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about you having rats!. Anyways, the correct oil filler cap in OPGI catalog is part number GTE0017. It is a "twist on", NOT "screw on". You will have to plug the hole in the valve cover where the hose for the emissions went or, as I would do, replace with an original valve cover. It will look nicer. I am not that familiar w/Cali emission cars, browse around the internet, I remember seeing the diagram of emission/non-emission cars. Later, I will look for my original '66 manual and find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in