3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
67 gto engine coming out help please

Hi, I need to remove engine to replace damaged intermediate shaft and oil pump, I have a 400 and turbo 400 auto, I have been told mixed opinions about if I should remove just engine or engine and auto, some say remove both its more easy but I worry about damage trying to get the engine and box out in one go seems a scary task, but with bonnet off just lifting engine out seems like less chance of damage to car in the engine bay, but I am told getting the box and converter lined up again is really difficult, anyone got any opinions and ideas or tips on the best way please let me know, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 05:23 AM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Pull the engine only, you will never get the whole package out or in.
Disregard the advice of those who told you otherwise.
If you don't have one of these order it.

https://secure.amesperf.com/qilan/De...A&web_access=Y

Last edited by Goat Roper; 02-20-2018 at 07:37 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
67's might be different, but on my 69 even with all of the front sheet metal off the car (fenders, hood, inner fenders..) I have never been able to re-install the engine and transmission as a unit. I've never found it to be difficult to re-mate the engine and transmission/torque converter, just line up the big dowel pins, push the two together, then bolt the converter to the flex plate.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
When I pulled the Chevy 350 out of my '67 to put the 400 back in, it was definitely easier to pull the transmission separately, and put them back in separately. It's funny how the physical removal/installation of the engine is the easiest part of an engine swap...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
I suppose I live in a different world than the rest of you guys. I raced a '67 & a couple of '69 GTO's, as well as several 1st gen Birds, two 2nd gens, and one Ventura 2. I've pulled & installed the engine/trans together countless times. And this includes a Powerglide, a TH350, & both long & short tail TH400's. Have also pulled the engine by itself, and the trans by itself.

But obviously, if the trans don't need to come out, you can pull the engine by itself. I have no problem with guys doing it any way they choose. As with many things Pontiac, especially cam choice, opinions differ.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah, BigD - I'm not saying it can't be done, just that I've never been able to do it. Then last time we tried, my son and I messed with it for a solid hour, and that was with all the front end sheet metal off. We got into a Catch 22 situation where when we got the engine high enough so that the dog ears on the motor mounts could pass over the frame saddles, we couldn't move it rearward enough to be able to straddle them because the transmission was hitting the tunnel. We tried tilting it to lower the tail, but all that did was make the backs of the heads hit the firewall and cause the same problem. There may be a way to do it - we just couldn't find it.

Bear
Goat Roper likes this.

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
well after talking to my friend about the various ways it seems best I just pull the engine, he said just make sure the box is supported correctly so its not moving anywhere, and move the engine forward about 1 inch, the engine should now be disconnected from the box, then lift engine out, seems the obvious way to go, just have to be careful the converter does not move forward during the process...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 07:13 AM
Former Moderator

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta62 View Post
well after talking to my friend about the various ways it seems best I just pull the engine, he said just make sure the box is supported correctly so its not moving anywhere, and move the engine forward about 1 inch, the engine should now be disconnected from the box, then lift engine out, seems the obvious way to go, just have to be careful the converter does not move forward during the process...
Remove the starter, remove the inspection pan and remove the 4 bolts that attach the converter to the flex plate,
Drain anti freeze, remove fan and fan clutch, radiator shroud and radiator.
Pull distributor.
Unbolt bell housing, I use a socket on a long extension.
Unbolt exhaust.
Pull the two long bolts on the motor mounts.
Disconnect hoses, fuel line, loom etc.
Place bottle jack under tranny to support, you will have to raise the engine to clear the exhaust before you can pull it forward.
Make sure to run the bottle jack up as you lift.
The torque converter will not move forward as long as you have removed the 4 bolts holding it to the flexplate.
BearGFR and 1968gto421 like this.

Last edited by Goat Roper; 02-21-2018 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Spelling error
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Roper View Post
Remove the starter, remove the inspection pan and remove the 4 bolts that attach the converter to the flex plate,
Drain anti freeze, remove fan and fan clutch, radiator shroud and radiator.
Pull distributor.
Unbolt bell housing, I use a socket on a long extension.
Unbolt exhaust.
Pull the two long bolts on the motor mounts.
Disconnect hoses, fuel line, loom etc.
Place bottle jack under tranny to support, you will have to raise the engine to clear the exhaust before you can pull it forward.
Make sure to run the bottle jack up as you lift.
The torque converter will not move forward as long as you have removed the 4 bolts holding it to the flexplate.
great stuff that all helps, ok so I need to lift a bit before going forward , I get it all good, hopefully !.....thanks
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 07:35 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Garage
Remember that there are alignment dowels in the back of the engine that go into the trans bellhousing. You can't just lift up, you will have to separate the engine from the bell, simply pry it apart with a screw driver if it gives you any problems.

Also support the transmission as it will nose down without the engine attached, pulling out the driveshaft and draining ATF all over the place. Don't put a jack under it or anything else that will focus pressure on one spot or you will cave in the trans pan. I have used a nice piece of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood big enough to be about the same size as the pan so as to spread the weight evenly and put a hydraulic jack under the piece of plywood. Don't jack under the torque converter either, you will damage the seal and who knows what else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in