User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
67 gto quick ratio steering box problems

hi, i installed a rebuilt power steering box 2.5 turn lock to lock made by cardone and also a standard rebuilt cardone pump, i am having problems with steering as i dont have a turning circle as tight as my original box, i have heard about stops in these boxs but cannot get a clear answer out of the seller, i am just about over messing with this cardone box, my question here is whats the best power steering box available ? i am now considering one made by AGR its 12-1 ratio 2.5 turn lock to lock.....does anyone know anything about these AGR boxs or any boxs worth using
also i have been told if i use a quick ratio box i should replace the standard pump with a more performance pump hi flow one that can do 3-3 1/4 GPM, any ideas ?...i want the best and if a pump will make a difference i will replace the rebuilt cardone one....thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Do you still have your original steering unit? If so, the folks at powersteering.com can rebuld it into a quick-ratio unit for you. All the stops will be right and it will still be numbers matching for your car. I had them do the one for my 69 and I'm very happy with it.

Other than that, as long as the pump is working, not making noise, and not leaking there's not a whole lot of reason to replace it. A pump either provides pressure to work the system or it doesn't.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I put a rebuilt Buick Grand National/ Monte Carlo SS box in my 65. 2.5 turns lock to lock and turning radius doesn't seem any less than stock non power box. Think it was only about $130.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had the AGR box on my v8 s10 blazer. I lost turn radius

https://www.gtoforum.com/signaturepics/sigpic18842_1.gif

1966 Pontiac Lemans Convertible
389 tri power
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
Do you still have your original steering unit? If so, the folks at powersteering.com can rebuld it into a quick-ratio unit for you. All the stops will be right and it will still be numbers matching for your car. I had them do the one for my 69 and I'm very happy with it.

Other than that, as long as the pump is working, not making noise, and not leaking there's not a whole lot of reason to replace it. A pump either provides pressure to work the system or it doesn't.

Bear
bear....i still have original box....not actually sure if it is the correct factory original, it looks right but i never checked....anyway i am in australia so getting it rebuilt is not practical, after searching around the 2.9 turn quick ratio sold by performance years sounds like the best bet, i made it very clear i dont want to loose turning ability so they know my concerns

as for pump well it seems to be working fine, it does make that whining noise on full lock but only when holding steering wheel fully locked, i think thats normal on most boxs, i think !

anyway after fitting 2 cardone boxs i am over it, i hope PY comes to the rescue they did seem to feel there box is correct and i wont have any issues.....thanks
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 10:17 AM

PonchoNorm... Does that box fit right in? Does anyone know of a quick ratio(quicker than the original that is) that I can pick up at pickNpull, that will fit right in?

Thanks.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 10:49 PM

Any one use the Delphi box from Ames? Expensive but they say it is like the ones used by Nascar cars--looking for one with quick ratio and more effort than stock the power stering box.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 12:29 PM

Inststalled the delphi box --12:1 --2.5 turns lock to lock--feels great but many times has a groan sound when turning right --left is fine--did not make this noise with the stock power steering box--anyone know what is wrong?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Groaning is usually trapped air/unit not full.

Make sure reservoir is full
Start engine (do NOT turn the wheel steering wheel), let it run a few seconds
Shut off and recheck fluid level, refill as needed.
When you get to the point where the fluid level doesn't change...

Start engine
turn steering wheel a little bit (no more than 1/8 turn) in both directions
Shut off engine and recheck level, refill as needed.
Keep repeating, working your way up to larger and larger turns of the steering wheel.
When you get to the point where the fluid level stays constant, even when you turn the wheel lock to lock, you're done.

You still may have to drive it a few days before all the air makes its way out of the system. Keep checking fluid level.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I put a "3-turn" steering box from Year One in my '67 GTO and it works fine, although it is a bit more than 3 turns... more like 3 1/8. I would like it a bit quicker (like the 2 3/4 turn one).

From your description (in your original post), your increased turning radius makes me think that the steering box you have is from a Firebird or Camaro. Years ago, I bought a wrecking yard box from a Firebird to install on my goat, but I happened to stumble accross a post on a Chevelle forum where a guy had the same issue as you. A reply post said that the problem was that the quicker ratio box was probably from a Firebird/Camaro and the shaft rotation at the pitman arm on these cars is 72 degrees. The shorter wheelbase cars only needed that to get a decent turn radius,, but "A body" cars used boxes with 90 degrees rotation. I checked the wrecking yard box I had.... sure enough ~72 degrees!

I was kind of bummed out at the moment..... until my dim bulb mind flickered as I looked over to the other side of the garage where there sat my '69 Camaro that really could use quicker steering :-)

The one I ordered from Year One had 90 degrees rotation and my turning radius is just as it was before.

Loved our time in "OZ" by the way - can't wait to go back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in