Best way to detail engine bay - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Best way to detail engine bay

Since the motors out and I have a little time, need to know the best way and what to do to detail the engine bay back to a cleaner look. Tried searching on here, no luck

I don't have access to a trailer to tow it anywhere, so as far as cleaning it would need to be from a rented pressure washer or from house hose and sprayer, lol......it is a good amount of pressure, but not 2k psi from rental.

What degresser and spray paints?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last November I pulled my motor and was going to do some minor detailing. Well, it ended up at this...

https://www.gtoforum.com/f83/before-after-pics-41297/

I concluded it was not that much more work to pull the fenders and core support, and do it right. I had my inner wheel wells, core support and control arms sand blasted. Used a wire brush on my grinder to clean up the frame. Painted everything in my garage using a make-shift paint booth made from hanging plastic and venting outside.

Installed new bushings, etc. when putting it back together. This may be a little more than what you are intending, but i am happy with the end result!

Oh yeah, the other benefit to this approach is that it is very easy to install the motor and trans when the core support and fenders are off!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeklm View Post
Last November I pulled my motor and was going to do some minor detailing. Well, it ended up at this...

https://www.gtoforum.com/f83/before-after-pics-41297/

I concluded it was not that much more work to pull the fenders and core support, and do it right. I had my inner wheel wells, core support and control arms sand blasted. Used a wire brush on my grinder to clean up the frame. Painted everything in my garage using a make-shift paint booth made from hanging plastic and venting outside.

Installed new bushings, etc. when putting it back together. This may be a little more than what you are intending, but i am happy with the end result!

Oh yeah, the other benefit to this approach is that it is very easy to install the motor and trans when the core support and fenders are off!!
Not going to be able to sand blast as the wheel wells, core support and control arms won't be able to be pulled. My only option at this time is to work with what I can in the pic.

PS: the wire thats tied together is holding up the exhaust's, don't laugh....lol

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
My bay was in far worse shape than yours. I bagged sensitive areas and power washed the grime and loose scale away. When dry I used wire brushes and aggressive sand paper reducing to finer grits for rough areas. I then wiped all down with degreaser.

I used black etching primer for areas that went to bare metal. Next I applied Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator to areas that had surface rust I removed. I then used Eastwoods's Extreme chassis black on the chassis and chassis components. I then used Eastwood's under hood paint. The stuff wears like iron.

Most parts were removed after painting and replaced with new i.e. trans cooling lines, hoses, fuel lines etc. I left them on to eliminate more taping etc.
If mine looked as good as yours, Id'a degreased and freshened with a new light coat of paints.

My first time doing this. Turned out good and still looks fresh albeit for road dust I detail off periodically.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020067.JPG
Views:	473
Size:	579.1 KB
ID:	17938 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020068 (2).JPG
Views:	644
Size:	561.9 KB
ID:	17946

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020066.JPG
Views:	2469
Size:	562.4 KB
ID:	17954 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020098.JPG
Views:	448
Size:	962.7 KB
ID:	17962Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020100.JPG
Views:	467
Size:	911.0 KB
ID:	17970

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Last edited by GTO JUDGE; 04-03-2013 at 07:09 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Yeah, that doesn't look bad at all. Maybe a couple cans of engine gunk degreaser and a garden hose then some soap and water will be enough.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rukee;
You might also find that mineral spirits and some soft brushes and rags will help with the grease and grime removal. It won't damage paint and it is easy to work with.

On some southern/dry climate cars, I've been surprised how good everything looks after it's been cleaned; yours looks like it might be one of those.

1968 Pontiac GTO
1983 Pontiac Bonneville (G) wagon
2008 Pontiac G8 base
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
The cost of mineral spirits here have gone through the roof. A gallon jug of it now is obscenely high of nearly 7.00. I used brake cleaner and some nasty stuff a friend loaned me that would take hair off your chest. It minimized my grinding and sanding but it is lethal and not able to be bought over the counter. Brake cleaner is what I use for degreasing works good for me.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Try oven cleaner for the greasy areas

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 09:25 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
X, my engine compartment looked a lot like yours on my '67 when I had the engine out two years ago. No reason at all to sandblast and repaint a rust free, ORIGINAL engine compartment, IMO. I used kerosene on a rag with a paint brush and a portable steam cleaner afterwards. I touched up the shabby areas with low gloss black that was a perfect match, and semi flat black on one spot on the firewall. Recently, I was able to use kerosene and fine steel wool to remove overspray from a 20 year old paint job off of my core support, and it came out great. The main thing that helped was a newly painted/sealed engine, new engine wiring harness, and all of the 'correct' battery cable clips, etc. The devil is in the details. The front clip of my '67 has never been off...ever, and the hood, doors, and fenders have perfect alignment...much better than a lot of 'show' GTO's I've seen going for big bucks. I would not remove the front clip from the car unless you like making a lot of extra work for yourself. Cars that are not rusty do not need extensive disassembly and refinishing. Simply cleaning thoroughly will often get it done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in