User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
better motor option

Hi all was looking for ideas on motor combos this is what I am working with
455 or 400 block. for stoker kit the 455 would be a 30.over bore the 400 would be 60.over bore I have both blocks and crank would be new 3.00'' or 3.25'' for mains wanted to run # 62 head for now till can get more cash 30.cc dish pistons would one block be better then other I think cid is very close ..im just looking for good street car with lot of low end power its 67 GTO auto 355 gears...after 1 block is fully machined I have very little cash so only can work with what I have both blocks nothing special no # matching's the 455=1973 the 400 =1967 not GTO blocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Well, I like the stroker 400 specifically because of the smaller mains. That leaves more meat in the main webs, and therefore 400 blocks are stronger. I haven't looked recently, but there used to be 4.21" stroke cranks available in 3.00" mains. Put one of those in a +0.030 400 and you have a standard bore 455. Or, do what I did and go with a 4.25" stroke and a +0.035 overbore, and you have a 461. The other advantage of the smaller mains is they tend to oil better - the larger journals "try harder" to fling the oil out of the bearings.

To be totally honest though, if you're building a purely street cruiser that's not going to see much if any strip time, a "regular" larger journal 455 will work just fine.

On either engine, it would be worth your while to put some effort into locating a set of 6x-4 heads. Run those in either a 455 or a 461 with stock head gaskets, flat top pistons and you're at 9.2:1 if you don't zero deck the block, 9.5:1 if you do. Either engine would have good to very good quench characteristics (much better than it would with big 'ol dishes in the pistons). --and the parts should be cheaper to boot.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 06:51 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Better motor option.....I have some ideas but I don't think they'll be very popular with the membership here .

Seriously though... with Bear 100%; A stroked Pontiac is hard to beat and these days ironically are really the "good ol' days" for Pontiac lovers because of the availability of good blocks, cranks, rods and cylinder heads. 20 years ago it wouldn't be nearly as easy to put together a streetable, big inch Pontiac with aluminum RA IV heads, it just wasn't gonna happen. Now it's not cheap, but it's not crazy money either to put together a stomper Injun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in