User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
clutch fan removal for 67 gto

I found the original fan shroud in the trunk. It's cracked, but I think it's usable. I've already got the radiator installed. I removed the four bolts that go into the water pump pulley. I also loosed the tension on the power steering pump so I could work with the belts.

I'm really not sure how to proceed from here. Do I need some kind of pulley puller? I'm not having much luck with google. Hopefully I don't have to pull the radiator. I already jacked it up a bit trying to stab this thing earlier. It's hot out. Figured I'd ask, and take a break.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilton8r View Post
I found the original fan shroud in the trunk. It's cracked, but I think it's usable. I've already got the radiator installed. I removed the four bolts that go into the water pump pulley. I also loosed the tension on the power steering pump so I could work with the belts.

I'm really not sure how to proceed from here. Do I need some kind of pulley puller? I'm not having much luck with google. Hopefully I don't have to pull the radiator. I already jacked it up a bit trying to stab this thing earlier. It's hot out. Figured I'd ask, and take a break.
Just wiggle it around.Well that didn't sound good. Tap the fan clutch with a rubber mallet. It just comes straight out.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
hello ...

on a stubborn fan ,,, I like to either cut a card board box to cover as much of the radiator as i could .. or wrap the blades with a towel

all it takes is a bump ... and its a couple hundo mis take ....

as mentioned above they like to mate together ,,,,, the water pump shaft sticks into the fan clutch about 1/8-3/16" and the ca be stubborn .... sometimes coming off with the pulley helps keep it straight

be safe .....cover it up

oh and ''

on a clutch fan it should be 4 nuts and lockwasehers on STUDS for a clutch
style fan ,,, not bolts ,,,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-GM-Wa...-/280904098902

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK69JUDGE View Post
hello ...

on a stubborn fan ,,, I like to either cut a card board box to cover as much of the radiator as i could .. or wrap the blades with a towel

all it takes is a bump ... and its a couple hundo mis take ....

as mentioned above they like to mate together ,,,,, the water pump shaft sticks into the fan clutch about 1/8-3/16" and the ca be stubborn .... sometimes coming off with the pulley helps keep it straight

be safe .....cover it up

oh and ''

on a clutch fan it should be 4 nuts and lockwasehers on STUDS for a clutch
style fan ,,, not bolts ,,,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-GM-Wa...-/280904098902
I'm ticked at myself for trying to get that shroud in after giving up on removing the fan the first time. It's definitely stubborn. And I may very well buy a new fan shroud since I've gone to the trouble of buying replacement baffles. I definitely don't want to deal with overheating issues. It's too bad I had medical stuff last year. I had planned on buying an aluminum radiator, and possibly electric fans. Cardboard would have been very smart. Thanks for reminding me it's always better to be safe than sorry. And I definitely don't have lock washers or studs, so that's going to change. I'm inclined to pull all of the belts to replace them. While I'm at it, I want to clean up some of the grease and dirt that I'm finding.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMTZ67 View Post
Just wiggle it around.Well that didn't sound good. Tap the fan clutch with a rubber mallet. It just comes straight out.
It's amazing. I've got so many tools, but a rubber mallet is not one of them. Actually, I'm finding a few tools I wish I had since I started on this gto adventure. Line wrenches are on the list, as well as a rubber mallet.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I am like black69judge,..always put cardboard on the radiator when working up there. You definitely need the lock washer when reinstalling.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans guy View Post
I am like black69judge,..always put cardboard on the radiator when working up there. You definitely need the lock washer when reinstalling.
black69judge has got me thinking it's best to pull the water pump to verify it's set up with the correct impeller. I know my car had cooling problems in the past, and the fact that it's using bolts instead of studs tells me it's worth checking out. I don't want to be doing this all over again in the near future because I didn't make an effort to cover all of my bases. I'm going to see if I can source the studs, washers, and nuts too.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:21 AM

a

I use a flow cooler water pump, really keeps it cool. I changed from an 8 bolt water pump on my 66 to the 11 bolt water pump.

If you are trying to keep everything original the you may want the 8 bolt pump. But, the 11 bolt pump is improved and one of the main things is the timing covers are reproduced. The timing covers rot out from hot coolant and years of use and neglect. They are not Re made, so you have to source one or find a reconditioned one. They exist but not so easy.

If you get into the water pump, consider this as your timing cover may be damaged also. Butler Performance web site will show you lots of variables on these options. They sell a conversion kit to go from 8 bolt to 11 bolt pumps, with the new timing cover. Other vendors have them as well.

The flow cooler pump works great, check them out. Everything costs more money, but if you do it right the first time it will save you time and trouble later. Go slow check out the options and assess what you can do.

The internal water pump plate gap is critical on Pontiacs, whatever water pump you use.

You will get it!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:57 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Garage
Lemans guy: If you are trying to keep everything original then you may want the 8 bolt pump. They are not Re made, so you have to source one or find a reconditioned one. They exist but not so easy."

PJ: KRE offers a new manufacture 8-bolt timing cover with the correct dimple for guys who use the tri-power set-up. Kauffman Racing Equipment
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KRE 8-bolt timing chain cover.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	120239  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:10 PM

Thanks PJ I stand corrected,...Kaufman has one that is great. So if you pull your WP make sure you examine that timing cover for corrosion.

It would be a good time to change it. I went to an 11 bolt, one reason was the serpentine belt system I used from CVF racing would not work with an 8 bolt pump.

Good to have choices, and good for Kaufman for making the 8 bolt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in