determining steering box turns ratio on the bench? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
determining steering box turns ratio on the bench?

I just scored a complete brand new front suspension including disk brakes from the guy who I bought the body from. $250 and I can just add it to the body payments I make to him. He is putting a Corvette front suspension on his. Along with a whole bunch of other changes.

Anyway, he doesn't know what the steering box is. He bought the car in mid restoration. It has been rebuilt but there is no way to tell if it is the orginal. Is there any way I can find out while it is off the car? Counting the turns of the input shaft and the output shaft seems too obvious to be valid.

I was planning on doing the Jeep Grand Cherokee swap, but if this one already is a quick ratio I don't need to waste the money.

Thanks,
Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
counting turns will do it, really do not need quick ratio if you are keeping the big stock wheel it almost becomes too fast. I think mine is 3.5 lock to lock and i have no clue what its off of. Put it in and leave the Jeep parts for Jeeps.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 01:57 PM

Ditto on counting the turns lock to lock. While all those Saginaw steering boxes from that era interchange there are internal differences. The internal stops are different if originally it was installed in the Camaro/Firebird cars, in that case the turning radius will be excessive. Also the road "feel' can be varied depending on the internal torsion bar on the input shaft, no way to tell until installed. There were also variable ratio boxes installed in the early 70's. Later boxes has O-ring type connections where the lines hook up instead of flared. Lots of options, but all physically look the same.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks.
Believe me, I have done my homework on this. The jeep conversion is very popular.
The box I currently have is a GTO box, just don't know the ratio and I don't want to buy another until I am sure I need it.
I will need the 12.7 to 1 ratio.
I'll use a Chrysler or Chevy or import part if it will do what I need it to do.
Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in