Engine and Engine Compartment Detailing - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Engine and Engine Compartment Detailing

Sorry if there is already another thread on this. I am about to start detailing my engine and engine compartment. I bought the 67 GTO in April of last year and my guess is it hasnt been gone through or cleaned in 10 plus years. Just looking for any tips or suggestions from those who have done this. I'll have to clean out a lot of dirt, grime, grease, etc. so any recommenations on what people have used that has worked best would be appreciated. Eastwood and Ames seem to have all of the paints I'll need for the engine itself, the engine compartment and anything else. Any recomendations on what seems to be best would be appreciated. I guess I'd love to hear any other general thoughts or suggestions from any of you. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Well Kev,you have to use some judgement I guess. It's easier to get everything clean if you remove the hood, fenders, and inner fenders - but that's also a ton of work. Doing that does give you better access to everything as well. If it's "that dirty", a good degreaser and pressure washer will help get it clean. I like Eastwood's 2k ceramic paint, both for the engine color and also their Satin Chassis Black (2k) for the inner fenders, core support, firewall, etc.

How about some photos?

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Here are 3 pictures. The one of the outside of the car was from later in the summer. The two under the hood are from April about a week after I brought it home. Mostly looks the same under the hood, besides some new parts (hoses, alternator, master cylinder, few other odds and ends). The engine and tranny are out of it right now, so will be going through that and fixing a few things, cleaning it, painting it. Same sort of thing with the engine compartment, washer and coolant tanks, etc. Redoing my rims right now as well. Sandblasting and repainting. All tedious tasks but some of the more rewarding ones when done...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-7.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	33354   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine1.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	33362   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine2.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	33370  

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I didn't realize the engine was out. That being the case, you can probably do all the work you need to without removing sheet metal. Keep us informed on how it's going!

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Any recommendations for a good degreaser? Read an article that mentioned Simple Green as a good one...

Last edited by GTO JUDGE; 02-05-2014 at 10:03 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0477 View Post
Any recommendations for a good degreaser? Read an article that mentioned Simple Green as a good one...
I found nothing works as good as Brake Cleaner. The dirt runs off the motor.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I am in the process of painting the engine. Using the Eastwood ceramic paint and a brush. Actually easier than I thought it would be. The brake cleaner is working the best for me. Going to put on new plug wires (yellow) and some chrome bits and pieces. Just to dress it up a little.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Also, someone here suggested using aluminum foil for masking. Works really well.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
It just takes time. Tin foil works really well especially on the spark plug tips, fuel pump.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Update with pic

Thanks everyone for all your input. It's just about all put back in and ready to drive so I thought I'd show you all almost the end result. I think at the time I started this thread, I hadn't planned to rebuild the engine, but when we opened it up, we saw a rod bearing had been put in backwards by whoever rebuilt it last, so we knew at that point, we needed to go through all of it (first sign should have been that they put a regular bolt in as an oil plug). So in addition to detailing, we did an engine rebuild, transmission rebuild, shifter rebuild, new intake manifold, got an almost new carb from a friend, Ram Air Restorations factory headers,new break and fuel lines, a heck of a lot of degreasing and sanding and wire brushing, and painting. Got a handful of things to put back in, then I'm getting a new exhaust, then break it in and then hopefully enjoy it for the rest of the summer. Thanks for all the tips. The tin foil came in handy not only for masking, but also for getting light rust off my valve covers. I'm still looking for any advice on the proper positive battery cable routing if anyone can offer any suggestions...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	379.3 KB
ID:	40098   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	585.2 KB
ID:	40106  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in