User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Engine Ice

Hi,
Has/does anyone use a product called Engine Ice instead of regular coolant to help keep the core temp down? Supposedly you can achieve up to 50F less using this product, but it appears to be used more in mortorbike racing, so keen to know if a period 455ci will benefit from this or whether it may in fact cause problems.
Thanks
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 09:38 AM

I know the owner of EI and talked to him last week about putting some in my '71 with a 350. Here is what he told me:

"As for "will it help," I don't know, individual results vary. Does it run hot now? If it does, it might help, but if it doesn't, then you likely won't see any visible difference. Keep in mind, if your engine is not running hot, how cool it can go down is limited by the thermostat. Even if you fill the engine with ice cubes, it's only going to go as low as the thermostat allows, because it will stay closed until it reaches it's desired temperature.
Now, if you do not have a temperature issue, but just want to use a good product free from contaminants like dissolved minerals and chemicals that can crystalize and clog the system, then Engine Ice is a good product for you."
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 10:21 AM

That information is basically for a stock type engine. For a race engine Engine Ice would be very beneficial. I used it in my Honda CRF450 and it worked great. I never overheated and I live/rode in Oklahoma during temps of 95+.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in