engine and trans removal - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
engine and trans removal

I have a '68 GTO with 400 ci engine. I have "0" compression in #7 cylinder and need to remove the engine. My question is, can I take out the engine and transmission all together? Or do I have to remove the engine by itself?

Thanks...Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
You'll get differing opinions, but mine is that it's "not" possible (or at least hard enough that I couldn't do it). You might be able to do it if you "get lucky", but honestly the process is much easier if you separate them. Remember to support both the front of the trans and the rear of the engine before separating them.

I tried to re-install the engine and trans as a unit in my '69 and wasn't able to do it --- and that was with all of the front-end sheet metal completely removed - fenders and all. The problem was that I couldn't get the motor high enough/tilted enough so that the motor mounts would slide down over the frame brackets without the heads and/or the transmission hitting the firewall.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 02:36 PM

Bear....very interesting. Although I am not a mechanic and have not removed or installed an engine into a GTO, I would have thought it not only possible but actually to be the best way to go by installing/removing engine and tranny as a single unit. I am pretty sure the guy who sold me the engine I have pulled the engine and tranny out together, but since I was not there to actually see it, I can not completely verify that.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 03:38 PM

Garage
Dave, I know your question is about pulling the engine and transmission, but do you have another reason besides fixing number 7? Rear main leak? If you are just wanting to get compression back in number 7, you are taking the tough road. Just my two cents. Matt

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
i'm with Bear...much easier just pulling the block IMO. At the very least you will need to jack it up off the mounts to get the oil pan off to get to the #7 rod cap. Whats the compression on the other pistons?

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 06:26 PM

It can be done but little awkward on the ground the angle coming out has to be steep.Not bad if you have a lift and an overhead crane.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvandermey View Post
Bear....very interesting. Although I am not a mechanic and have not removed or installed an engine into a GTO, I would have thought it not only possible but actually to be the best way to go by installing/removing engine and tranny as a single unit. I am pretty sure the guy who sold me the engine I have pulled the engine and tranny out together, but since I was not there to actually see it, I can not completely verify that.
Well, I WAS there and I DID do it myself... or rather tried to... unsuccessfully. But then, what do I know?

BEar

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 09:32 AM

Been there a couple times. Yes, you can remove the engine with the transmission, but you'll find the job much easier if you remove the front end (bumper, radiator, radiator housing, etc.) Is all that worth it? Your choice. Even so, you will catch the torque converter housing on the bottom of the firewall during removal (automatic trans.) Can be tougher than one thinks. If so, and you're removing said transmission, be prepared to loose the greater majority of the tranny oil on the shop floor, unless you plug the end of the tail shaft after you remove the drive shaft, of coarse.

Bear is right. It's better accomplished in two separate maneuvers. He's also correct when you try to reinstall both. The only way I know, when it comes to re-installation, is to drop the motor and the transmission, (together), on the frame before the body is dropped down and attached, but that's most likely in a frame-off restoration and that's the easy way. Again, if your talking an automatic, they do make plugs to plug the tail shaft to prevent loss of oil.

Now, for my question. I'm with the other guys on this one. Why do you want to remove the transmission? 4-speed or automatic? As one often says..."Why fix it if it's not broken". One would think you can accomplish your task on #7 without removing the tranny.

Just my thoughts...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
Well, I WAS there and I DID do it myself... or rather tried to... unsuccessfully. But then, what do I know?

BEar
I do not doubt you at all, in fact, I down right respect your opinion and experience. I am just saying logically speaking, I would have thought it would be easier to install/remove in one piece, especially with the front clip off. It is indeed good to know otherwise.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvandermey View Post
I do not doubt you at all, in fact, I down right respect your opinion and experience. I am just saying logically speaking, I would have thought it would be easier to install/remove in one piece, especially with the front clip off. It is indeed good to know otherwise.
That's what I thought too, until my son and I fought with it for 2-3 hours trying to do it. They make it look so easy on TV

What we ran into was, with the engine "high" enough so that the ears on the motor mounts could slide over the top of the frame brackets, we couldn't get the engine back far enough for them to drop down over them because the transmission hit the tunnel and couldn't go any farther back. When we tried tilting the engine to "lower" the trans, then the problem was the heads hit the firewall and we still couldn't get it back far enough. I can see that it might be possible IF you removed both motor mounts, suspended the engine in position using the hoist, then re-installed the motor mounts "in place".

That's almost as much work as just separating the motor from the tranny though.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in