Gel/foam inside cylinder during teardown - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gel/foam inside cylinder during teardown

I inherited a 63 389 engine that I'm rebuilding as part of restoring my 67 Lemans. I'm still early in the teardown process but it was going well until I removed the second set of heads and found gel and foam in the #2 cylinder. The other 7 cylinders just had a little ash, rust, and very small hollow balls but the gel concerns me. Any idea what could be the cause?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180803_134437.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	114535   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180803_134447.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	114537  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Maybe a bad head gasket and remnants of anti freeze.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 04:11 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Garage
1963? You aren't planning on installing into the '67 are you? FYI - If you do, bell housing/trans pattern is different, starter bolts up differently, the rocker arms oil through the block and not the lifters, and other things that will not work with later parts.

Now if you are going to "fit" & "adapt" the engine into the '67, then different story.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs72goat View Post
Maybe a bad head gasket and remnants of anti freeze.
I was wondering about that. When I removed the head there was liquid that dripped on the floor. I thought it was just the blaster fluid I used to loosen the head bolts. Head gasket looked ok (not obviously blown) and the head bolts were tight. Never thought anti freeze could turn into a gel like that. I left the head how I found it and whatever it is mostly evaporated overnight. Really strange.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
1963? You aren't planning on installing into the '67 are you? FYI - If you do, bell housing/trans pattern is different, starter bolts up differently, the rocker arms oil through the block and not the lifters, and other things that will not work with later parts.

Now if you are going to "fit" & "adapt" the engine into the '67, then different story.
Thanks! I know its going to be a good bit of work to get the '63 engine to fit in the '67 but it will be worth it in the end.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 03:51 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
X2 or 3 that water, coolant, or mouse piss got into the cylinder. That block looks pretty rusty, IMO. It may need serious work to become usable.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
X2 or 3 that water, coolant, or mouse piss got into the cylinder. That block looks pretty rusty, IMO. It may need serious work to become usable.
Thanks! I don't see any obvious cracks in the block, head, or head gasket so I don't know where the liquid is coming from. Hopefully the block will still be usable.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 07:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrre View Post
Thanks! I know its going to be a good bit of work to get the '63 engine to fit in the '67 but it will be worth it in the end.
One thing that you have to be aware of are the motor mounts. In 64 they were moved back towards the center of the block where they are on a 67. Back in 79 I tried to put a 63 in a 67. I found a new bell housing, flywheel and other clutch and shifter parts. I moved the brake distribution block and dropped the engine in only to find out that the motor mounts were way off. 4 months of work and I was stuck. I ended up using a different engine and then it just dropped in. As long as you know up front you'll be better off.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggreenwood62 View Post
One thing that you have to be aware of are the motor mounts. In 64 they were moved back towards the center of the block where they are on a 67. Back in 79 I tried to put a 63 in a 67. I found a new bell housing, flywheel and other clutch and shifter parts. I moved the brake distribution block and dropped the engine in only to find out that the motor mounts were way off. 4 months of work and I was stuck. I ended up using a different engine and then it just dropped in. As long as you know up front you'll be better off.
Thanks! I was under the impression that all motors mounts from '59-'69 were the same. I contacted Butler Performance and they sell the parts I'll need to make it fit. I appreciate knowing about it up front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in