good engine test stand? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
good engine test stand?

any of you guys out there have any experience with engine test stands? Any good models that are decently priced? I don't want to spend a ton on it but I am really looking at getting one so I can run in my new engine when I get it (mostly to see if it got ripped off or if anything is wrong with it).

I have found one that is a very good price but I can't find any reviews on it. here is a link
http://www.amazon.com/Larin-METS-1-Mobile-Testing-Station/dp/B0007NXVB0
There are lots of other that I found for 2 g's but that is to much for me to spend since I have plenty of other parts I need to finish the car.

Thanks guys

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can you weld? Not really much to it. Could probably get one built for less than 2k also. Any fab metal shops around? I have seen medical equipent stand used as one too. A few gauges. Toggle switch and starter button. Thats a fairly good price on the one you linked. Pretty much has it all.

https://www.gtoforum.com/signaturepics/sigpic18842_1.gif

1966 Pontiac Lemans Convertible
389 tri power
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

I can kinda weld. but I would spend as much buying the welding equipment as I would buying a cheap test stand. But I'm sure I could find a few fab shops that could put something together, pretty good idea.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Another option for you, depending on where you're at with your project: put the engine in the car and just rig up direct "hot wire" connections to the battery for ignition and starter. I broke my engine in on a dyno at the machine shop, but after I got it home I put it in the frame and ran it a few times a month for just over a year until the car was finally drivable. Neighbors are appreciative if you also install the exhaust system with mufflers...

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

I had a friend suggest the same thing bear and it really does sound like a good idea. I think I will go that route thanks
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
You could get the cheaper one you listed and get a radiator and take it to a local vocational school. They should have the metal to mount it and any mods you want. They will do the work, usually for only a small donation.

Larry

2005 GTO Quick - 1984 Honda V65 Magna Quicker - 2004 Z06 Quickest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in