Help installing a 1971 Trans am 400 engine into my 1966 gto - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help installing a 1971 Trans am 400 engine into my 1966 gto

Hey guys, so im putting a 1971 Pontiac Trans am 400 motor into my 66 GTO, couple problems, first, the motor mounts have been a nightmare to figure out, the block has the 3 bolt wide motor mounts and the trans am ones dont work on the gto frame mounts, I finally found a set that mounted up to the block, (Anchor brand) 2335 and 2336 but the part that mounts to the rail is about an inch and a half to wide, I can use spacers but is there another mount I should look for that fits the block and is smaller on the frame mount? Second, the trans is a 350 and is mounted to the engine but when I try and mount the trans to the trans mount it does not line up, it sits back 2 inches to far, I again could drill new holes in the frame to mount it up but its changing the distance for my drive shaft? Third...with this engine, the steering linkage is almost touching the oil pan when the wheels are turned L&R, do I need to change the pan or is the answer to ALL my questions to change the motor mounts? Thanks guys and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 04:18 PM

Garage
First welcome to the board. I am sure you'll have several people much more informed on this than I am chime in but I am kind of wondering why you're having so much trouble too.

A 71 400 should have reasonably compatible mounts to the 66 frame mounts all things being considered. Which 71 block do you have? (What engine code) and you mention 3 mounting hole mounts and to my knowledge there are only 2 bolt mounts in use on Pontiac blocks. Several blocks are tapped with multiple mount holes since they were used on A bodies, big cars and birds so they have different locations the mounts could be bolted to the block to accommodate the different frame mounts.
Pictures?

2005 GTO Daily Driver
1969 Custom-S Project car

1971 GTO 455 in process of rebuild TH400 NEED A NEW REAREND!!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome Pure...yep, Im wondering why its so much trouble myself. This is a 1971 block that came with Trans am mounts, the 3 hole mounts, you cant just use the two as they are about an inch and a half wider than the standard gto/lemans mounts, the trans am mounts use a special seperate rubber frame mount that mounts the the rail, the GTO/Lemans uses the rectangular 3 hole frame mounts, the block number is 481988, I found this to be a 1971 and again the mounts that came with it are for a trans am. I have to believe all this trouble could be solved easily with the correct mount, but 7 stores and 7 days later and no one can tell me what mount to get. All help is appreciated greatly as 7 days to mount up an engine does not make me any money. LOL.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
google is a wonderful thing.....welcome to the herd

Pontiac GTO Engine Mount - Motor Mounts - Westar - 1966 1967 66 67 - PartsGeek.com

the left and right are different

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
nope.. the gto/lemans uses the 2 hole mounts and mount further to the front. Your block if it is a 71 should have all 5 bolt holes. It it only has three... you have a 77-79 block and an adapter kit is needed which they make or you could fab up your own. Stupid question but did you pull a pontiac out?

https://www.gtoforum.com/signaturepics/sigpic18842_1.gif

1966 Pontiac Lemans Convertible
389 tri power
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
And yes the incorrect or incorrectly mounted motor mounts are creating the trans cross member problem you should not have to shim anything they fit snug when they come together. Pontiac motors are a bitch to drop in with the trans mounted up also, especially if you have power brakes and the valve covers on. The drivers side block mount will have a "T" shaped tab on it. The mounts will use the block holes that center them on the middle freeze plug.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instg8ter View Post
Pontiac motors are a bitch to drop in with the trans mounted up .
Really? Although I pull the d/s valve cover I've done it by myself twice in the last 6 months. Did it with the hood on the first time...

389 tri power
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Good info guys, Im doing a frame off resto on her so install is a breeze, I will look for the second set of holes if there are some, the block code should be correct so they may be there, I know the L and R are different it was really just that its a Trans Am block, I actually just picked up another complete running 400 out of a 68 gto, Ill likely just drop that one into my 67 GTO and try the advice you guys gave on the Original, nothing like spending money on Car Parts...Thanks alot everyone, and yeah, dropping in any motor with the trans mounted is loads fun especially when you have the whole engine bay and firewall painted up and detailed, so much easier just pulling off the body and doing it all right. Cheers...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Oh ya, Facin8me, I got the car with No motor trans or rear end but it was a hell of a deal, If I had the original Id use it for sure. Cheers..
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcustoms View Post
Oh ya, Facin8me, I got the car with No motor trans or rear end but it was a hell of a deal, If I had the original Id use it for sure. Cheers..
There may be a slim chance someone has chnged the frame mounts to chevy mounts is why I asked. You may be looking at the wrong piece to the problem. Just an idea.

389 tri power
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in