Light radiator overflow - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Light radiator overflow

Hi everyone, I just joined and am really needing a good logical answer to why my 71 GTO 400/400 is spewing a little overflow after running 5 minutes or so. It is not a violent overflow like overheating but an annoying 2 or 3 ounces. I have replaced the radiator cap and also put in a new Delco thermostat and neither has solved the problem. I was thinking that maybe I could just add and aftermarket overflow jar and correct it but that would not be original.
I have an original car with only 54,600 miles and am trying to keep it that way.
Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Not that familiar with the '71s, but if there is no overflow jar there will need to be an air gap in the top of the radiator. The overflow is for expansion of fluid as it gets hot. Am I missing something?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 02:29 PM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum.

You are overfilling the radiator, it will stop once it pukes down to the proper level.
Also you have posted on the test page, I will move your post to the proper page.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Roper View Post
Welcome to the forum.

You are overfilling the radiator, it will stop once it pukes down to the proper level.
Also you have posted on the test page, I will move your post to the proper page.
Totally agree with that. The radiator will seek the coolant level that it is comfortable with. I had a similar issue as you in my '71 GTO 400. I'd fill it up, some would puke out. Fill it again with the same result. Finally some one told me that the radiator needs room for expansion when it gets hot. So, I ran it to operating temp. and then shut it off. Let it cool. Took off the cap and the fluid was slightly below the tubes. Filled it to just above the tubes which left about a 2-3 inch space for expansion. Never had a problem since. Sometimes we worry that we don't have enough in it and it won't cool properly, but it does. I also have a '62 SS 409 and had the same problem. Cured it the same way. Best wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in