• 1 Post By bigD
  • 1 Post By geeteeohguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Oil filter for 400

Is it important which oil filter is used when doing an oil change? The old STP S25 filter that was on the engine is physically much larger than the Purolator PBL25288 I picked up at my local Advance Auto parts store after checking to see if the fitment for the engine was correct. If it's no big deal, I'll just go ahead with the one I have....or...if bigger is better, I'll go that route. Thanks as always.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
A common filter that many use is the NAPA 1258 & Wix 51258. It's the larger size. There are lots of different brands in this size. Many recommend NOT using a Fram brand, or any other brands made by Fram.

https://www.oilfilter-crossreference...vert/NAPA/1258

Unless you need more oil filter to exhaust clearance, there is no reason to use a smaller filter. But, if you do need more clearance, there are several choices. They're about 3" in diameter, and from about 3 1/2" to over 5" long. These also fit some of the LS engines. You can Google the different part numbers & usually find some different sources & the exact specs for most any filter.

The Purolator you mentioned is one of the small diameter filters. I have a Wix 51522 on my drag car, for header clearance.

https://www.oilfilter-crossreference...rolator/L25288

"...if bigger is better, I'll go that route..."

Your filter will work just fine. But, the larger diameter filters have more filter material inside. So, in this case, I suppose you could say that bigger IS better, but only very slightly.
1968gto421 likes this.

Last edited by bigD; 06-22-2019 at 05:26 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigD View Post
A common filter that many use is the NAPA 1258 & Wix 51258. It's the larger size. There are lots of different brands in this size. Many recommend NOT using a Fram brand, or any other brands made by Fram.

https://www.oilfilter-crossreference...vert/NAPA/1258

Unless you need more oil filter to exhaust clearance, there is no reason to use a smaller filter. But, if you do need more clearance, there are several choices. They're about 3" in diameter, and from about 3 1/2" to over 5" long. These also fit some of the LS engines. You can Google the different part numbers & usually find some different sources & the exact specs for most any filter.

The Purolator you mentioned is one of the small diameter filters. I have a Wix 51522 on my drag car, for header clearance.

https://www.oilfilter-crossreference...rolator/L25288

"...if bigger is better, I'll go that route..."

Your filter will work just fine. But, the larger diameter filters have more filter material inside. So, in this case, I suppose you could say that bigger IS better, but only very slightly.
Thanks BigD, makes perfect sense. Seems maybe a guy (or gal) can go too far being concerned over things that were probably never even considered back when these cars were new!

JV

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Anyone using an oil filter relocation setup ? I'd prefer to go that route with my headers, so I can run a large filter.

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:36 AM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cij911 View Post
Anyone using an oil filter relocation setup ? I'd prefer to go that route with my headers, so I can run a large filter.
I am going to answer this, but will do so in a new post so it can become a separate discussion.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 06:04 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Wix 51258 in both my GTO's and nothing else.
1968gto421 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in