Oil pump? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hi
I rebuilt my 1970 GTO RamAir 3 engine using Melling M54f. After 500miles i heard noise coming from the engine while driving 75miles. We pulled the engine out and found out after taking it apart that the oil pump check valve is out. I don't know why this thing happened??? Should i change the pump. Which oil pump should i buy???

Last edited by Aziz2010; 04-09-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Most just use the M54DS. Some add an extra bottom plate, or go with a thicker plate.

In my 455 bracket engines, I used the M54DS & shimmed the spring for little more pressure.

Or, if you wanna spend $150 +, you can buy one that's been modified by Butler.

https://butlerperformance.com/i-2445...tegory:1234738
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:36 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziz2010 View Post
Hi
I rebuilt my 1970 GTO RamAir 3 engine using Melling M54f. After 500miles i heard noise coming from the engine while driving 75miles. We pulled the engine out and found out after taking it apart that the oil pump check valve is out. I don't know why this thing happened??? Should i change the pump. Which oil pump should i buy???
Well, I guess we know what the "f" means. Agree with bigD. I checked the Mellings website and the M54f description says, " Standard volume and pressure, Ram Air engine, 30% more pressure than M-54D-S." Whaaaaat? Now Butler lists the pump as "Melling Pontiac RA/SD High Vol. 80 psi Oil Pump-w/o Pick-up MEL-M-54F."

If it is the 80PSI pump, personally, too much pressure unless you have a lot of bearing clearance and plan on racing the engine and spinning high RPM's.

I found this description on another site as well as Butler for the Mellings 10540 pump for the Pontiac, "High pressure performance upgrade for the M-54D-S. The housing is CNC machined and phosphate coated. Includes 3/4 diameter oil pickup screen." The description says it is a standard volume/high pressure pump, BUT, at the top of the page showing this pump at Butler, the header says, "Melling Performance Pontiac High Vol./ 60 psi Oil Pump-with Pick-up MEL-10540. A little bit confusing to say the least.

You don't really need more pressure than the 60 PSI for a stock engine, but more volume and the 3/4" pickup is more desirable.

I went with this Butler pump that bigD pointed out. Yep, more money, but at what cost is another engine?? It is 60PSI, flows more volume, and I cannot recall if it uses the 3/4" pickup/screen (although the descriptions does not state this, but Butler builds their Pro pump off the M54DS which they state has the 3/4" pickup). Oiling is essential on a Pontiac and can be the weak spot, so why chance it? https://butlerperformance.com/i-2445...tegory:1234738

And if you did not get a hardened oil pump shaft to replace the stock one, get one.

I saw that the Mellings M54f had a 12 month warranty, so you might be able to get your money back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in