User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Opening front end up behind grill

Do folks open up an opening behind the grills to let cold air into the engine bay ? While the engine is far from sealed, there clearly is not a great path of cold air to the carbs....Since I am restoring the car and everything is apart, I have been wondering if folks generally make small modifications like this (as is done with so many other cars). If so, do folks have any pictures ?

Also while I have read about the dealer installed factory scoop (ram air), whereby the hood was cut, it appears the bigger challenge is the fake grill. How did the dealer open up the fake grill in the top center of the hood (sorry don't know what to call it)? Thanks

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cij911 View Post
Do folks open up an opening behind the grills to let cold air into the engine bay ? While the engine is far from sealed, there clearly is not a great path of cold air to the carbs....Since I am restoring the car and everything is apart, I have been wondering if folks generally make small modifications like this (as is done with so many other cars). If so, do folks have any pictures ?

Also while I have read about the dealer installed factory scoop (ram air), whereby the hood was cut, it appears the bigger challenge is the fake grill. How did the dealer open up the fake grill in the top center of the hood (sorry don't know what to call it)? Thanks
I have seen some modify their closed scoops using a dremel tool to cut the center area away. As far as an opening behind the grilles, the radiator of my '70 is just behind the grilles, plenty of air running through.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JUDGE View Post
I have seen some modify their closed scoops using a dremel tool to cut the center area away. As far as an opening behind the grilles, the radiator of my '70 is just behind the grilles, plenty of air running through.
Yes but that air is quite a bit hotter than the ambient air (maybe)....My thought was to open a hole up on both side to direct cold air right into the engine bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front left grill.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	103041   Click image for larger version

Name:	front right grill.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	103049  

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie

Last edited by cij911; 02-03-2018 at 09:31 PM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 09:38 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Garage
"How did the dealer open up the fake grill in the top center of the hood (sorry don't know what to call it)?"

I believe the technical term is "hood insert." The cold air or Ram Air inserts were cast as open, just like the non-RA inserts were cast as closed. So two different factory offerings with regards to the hood inserts.

What is your reasoning & goal in directing outside air into the engine bay? Quite a few offerings on Ebay that might give you some ideas. https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_saca...per+air+intake
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
"How did the dealer open up the fake grill in the top center of the hood (sorry don't know what to call it)?"

I believe the technical term is "hood insert." The cold air or Ram Air inserts were cast as open, just like the non-RA inserts were cast as closed. So two different factory offerings with regards to the hood inserts.

What is your reasoning & goal in directing outside air into the engine bay? Quite a few offerings on Ebay that might give you some ideas. https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_saca...per+air+intake
Jim - Different hood inserts makes sense as it looked too hard to cut cleanly! My thought was that I could make an opening to the right and left of the radiator and cold air would be directed into the engine bay, hopefully reduce IAT a bit, and reduce the chance of pre detonation / increase HP. While cold air intakes are great, I would have to literally run hoses or tubing up to the carbs and have the carbs isolated from the engine bay air (which I won't do), so I guess it is pointless or would yield little benefit.

Back to wrenching on the electrical system and POR15 work. I am installing the MAD Electrical Start Em' Up kit and probably the light and accessory relays as well and almost done with the POR15 on the floors.

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 11:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cij911 View Post
Jim - Different hood inserts makes sense as it looked too hard to cut cleanly! My thought was that I could make an opening to the right and left of the radiator and cold air would be directed into the engine bay, hopefully reduce IAT a bit, and reduce the chance of pre detonation / increase HP. While cold air intakes are great, I would have to literally run hoses or tubing up to the carbs and have the carbs isolated from the engine bay air (which I won't do), so I guess it is pointless or would yield little benefit.

Back to wrenching on the electrical system and POR15 work. I am installing the MAD Electrical Start Em' Up kit and probably the light and accessory relays as well and almost done with the POR15 on the floors.
OK, got it. The "Ram Air" systems used by many makers in various forms were in my opinion a little more than the visual looks and bragging rights. It did help to some extent to bring cooler outside air into the engine, not the engine bay, and this was usually at higher speeds.

As long as the hood is in place, it will trap hot engine temps. Mopars seem to run hot under the hood in my opinion and on my 1973 Fury the factory installed seals (flat 1/4" flexible panels) strategically behind the grille to seal off some of the surrounding open areas and channel/force air flow through the radiator area. I think their nose design with its inner fender panels creates more of a box enclosure that traps more heat than lets say a GM product with its inner fender well design and a bunch more open areas for hot temps to escape.

To keep engine temps down, just run a good cooling system using an aluminum radiator, fan shroud, good fan, and a 160 degree thermostat. Correct carb settings (not too lean) and proper ignition timing are also part of a cool running engine.

Of course there is the "old school" remove the hood completely to show off your engine and chromed accessories or what some racers do, lift the rear of the hood with spacers high enough to create airflow out the back at the windshield.
geeteeohguy, 70Koza and cij911 like this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Jim - Interesting I still can't seem to find anyone that sells the open inserts...I would have thought this was a cold air kit (ram air pan + inserts)....Oh well...

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 08:21 PM

Garage
No one sells an open insert as it is easy enough to modify any of the aftermarket closed hood inserts. Fairly simple job with the right tools. If you can't do it yourself, take it to a machine shop and let them do it.

You will also have to cut your under hood bracing as well as the bracing behind the insert.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01  1965-67 Ram Air hood mods.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	103065   Click image for larger version

Name:	02  1965-67 Ram Air hood mods.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	103073  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Ah so buy an aftermarket insert and cut that....smart....thanks Jim (again)....

I'd like to buy you a beer, but have a feeling you are no where close....How about mail you some local micro brews ?

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Ames performance sells an open scoop insert for your '65. Here is the lnk:

https://secure.amesperf.com/qilan/De...A&web_access=Y

Ames also offers the complete inderhood things with the pan and airfilter mods to do a factory ram air setup

http://www.amesperf.com/

Hope all this helps.

Last edited by 1968gto421; 02-05-2018 at 06:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in