painting the engine in place - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
painting the engine in place

My winter project this year is to touch up the paint on the engine (probably means painting everything visible). Looking at using a brush, rather than try to spray it. Going with the light blue/turquoise used on 65s. Any recommendations on paint, or techniques?

Got some wire brushes for my drill to clean up the rust spots, and will use some type of cleaner prior to painting.

Any and all comments welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
before painting degrease and use a rust reformer primer, tinfoil makes a great mask for odd shaped parts you dont want painted.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instg8ter View Post
before painting degrease and use a rust reformer primer, tinfoil makes a great mask for odd shaped parts you dont want painted.
Now that's an idea I'll steal!

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You said it.I am gonna try tinfoil. I usually clean everything. Then wipe it off with some lacquer thinner. Then blow dry with the air nozzle. Paint sticks like glue then.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
You are about to embark on the same thing I did when I got mine. If this helps this is what I did.

I found brake cleaner works better than some degreasers, I used it, the grime melted away and it dries fast. I went trough a few cans. I cleaned all I could reach and it was filthy. Pulled spark plug wires and tinfoiled the spark pugs, hoses and other small areas I wanted no paint on. I used newspaper to cover other areas as well as the fenders and cowl areas. Once I was satisfied........

I used dplicolor Medium blue metallic. When done Eastwood manifold paint. The motor looked fabulous ....... well as best it could be. I then covered motor and spray bombed Eastwood underhood paint on the insides as best I could, it all looked a hell of a lot better. It held up for 2 seasons no peeling, until the motor was pulled and stripped down. I did keep some on hand to use as touch up for some spots that flaked near high heat. I'd spray some in the lid and use a parts brush to brush the paint on....... The motor finished that way looked 100% better........ good luck on yours.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks for the comments. The day after posting this, I was talking to an old car guy and he told me about the tin foil idea also. So definitely will do that. I ordered a quart of Eastwood light blue yesterday. Still planning on brushing it on. Hope it works.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 09:11 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
65, it'll work just fine. If you have too many brush marks or it doesn't level out on the flat spots, a light sanding will fix it. Most of what is visible is rough cast iron, and a brush will do well. Be sure to cover up the carb. I have used petroleum jelly rubbed on fuel lines and linkages, etc. prior to paint. Paint will not stick to the stuff, and it wipes off after the painting is done, leaving a clean surface.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I used spray cans...

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 05:04 PM

I've done it on several cars over the years and if you take your time they come out great.
The brake cleaner has worked really well for me, along with a wire brush and some sand paper. I usually try to remove as much as I can. These cars are simple and easy to take things like senders, valve covers, etc. off of.
Whatever doesn't come off gets covered with tape, tin foil, or bare lines with Vaseline. Don't forget to cover the hoses and clamps.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 07:16 PM

I to have done several cars like this for the touch-up. My most recent was on my 400 in my 68 goat. KBS Coatings offers the best paint for the exhaust manifolds. I have run this since summer and it has not turned brown. It's the cast iron grey color which can be applied to other cast iron parts, like the master cylinder. I used an inexpensive sponge brush in light coats to avoid brush marks. However, I was not as fortunate with the the Pontiac metallic blue as it turned brown around the manifolds and the crossover on the intake. Here's the link for KBS: Engine Paint - Engine Enamel - Engine Painting Kit - Motor Coater - KBS Coatings. I have used Vaseline, tape, and brake cleaner, but the tin foil is a great idea. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in