power steering pump question. - Page 2 - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
Just enjoying breakfast outside before I go into the garage and get hot and cranky. Looked at it last night again and everything lines up except the pp. Jim I see that washer you are talking about. I'll take the pump out and look it all over again and see if anything pops out at me. One more question though. I installed my new front calipers reversed and have put them back correctly "with the bleeder up" now It wont bleed. I am guessing the proportioning valve is closed so that the whole system will not fail. How do I get that centered again? It is a aftermarket disc set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190525_105710_1558804303602.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	119217   Click image for larger version

Name:	1558804369267373894173531392622_1558804389597.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	119219  

Last edited by RMTZ67; 05-25-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:34 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMTZ67 View Post
Just enjoying breakfast outside before I go into the garage and get hot and cranky. Look at it last night and everything lines up except the pp. Jimmy I see that washer you ar talking about. I'll take the pump out and look it all over again and see if anything pops out at me. One more question though. I installed my new front calipers reversed and have put them back correctly "with the bleeder up" now It wont bleed. I am guessing the porpotioning valve is closed so that the whole system will not fail. How do I get that centered again? It is a aftermarket disc set.

Check out this YouTube video. It may help and you can start from there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=qPLaPv8DITE
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
Well Jim, this video showed me I should probably read the directions first. I removed the bleed plug before bleeding thinking it was a shipping plug along with the rest. Its has been disposed of. Come to find out those are going for $14.00. Anyway I emailed the company asking for the easiest way to center the pin. Mean while I'll Google some more. Maybe I'll find a easier solution which might be buying another one. Thanks

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I fought similar problem, turns out I needed the 4 inch water pump not the 4.5. I fought this for days before changing water pump and now everything lines up.

Good luck,
Rednekk
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:20 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMTZ67 View Post
Well Jim, this video showed me I should probably read the directions first. I removed the bleed plug before bleeding thinking it was a shipping plug along with the rest. Its has been disposed of. Come to find out those are going for $14.00. Anyway I emailed the company asking for the easiest way to center the pin. Mean while I'll Google some more. Maybe I'll find a easier solution which might be buying another one. Thanks

LOL. You are learning my way. Never read directions, dig right in, pull stuff apart because we are "guys", then scratch your head trying to figure out why things just are not working. And never admit you did not read the instructions, rather, tell everyone that you did not understand them as they were written, they just were not clear enough!

You should be able to get the bleeder valves from most auto parts stores on their Help tree of parts.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Also t
Here is a small bolt nut and a thick washer on the very bottom right side. (As you are in the drivers seat) of all that
Bracetry, ...the washer is a thick black spacer and as I recall it goes in between the two brackets....if you put it back or front it will misalign the pulley as I recall. I had to always put the car on the lift to get to that nut easily,....not sure I can see it in the photos...

It is the lowest and farest adjustment , where the two bracket ends meet.....

That is why I went to serpentine belt!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in