Question on engine parts - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question on engine parts

So I picked up a 325HP 1967 400 XX motor today. Never has been bored. Was complete with carb, pulleys, brackets, etc. It has 061 big valve high compression heads(I know I need to tap these for screw in studs). I was wondering about a few parts. Are the 4-barrel intake and the carter AFB 4-barrel any good or worth any money to someone who needs correct parts? Also it has 9779032 9779328 1968 GTO Exhaust manifolds on it. Are they any good, or would they just be good for someone who wants correct numbers on their 68?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Thought you were going stroker motor? If so, I would think the block would be the only component you would reuse here. Sell all those other components to save up for the stroker kit, Edelbrock or Tiger heads, roller cam, machine work, etc.

Intake, carb and ex manifolds are only gonna be good to someone restoring a car. The 68-72 cast iron intake for Q-jet is the preferred one to use for budget performance (even though they weigh a ton lol ).
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 12:08 PM
64-67 Expert

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Recently, I tossed a set of 061 heads out of ignorance. I've since found that they are excellent heads for a 400: the first "open chamber" design by Pontiac ever for their V8. It was a semi-open chamber, and they make a great performance head. Keep 'em. After reading all the good things about them, it was easy to understand why that old engine ran so hard (it was a $150 junkyard special out of a '67 Cat in my very first GTO). The intake and the exhaust manifolds are of value....hang on to them or post them for sale. Definitely don't toss 'em!!! Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in