questions about my 400 engine - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
questions about my 400 engine

I'm putting together a 400 engine that I never saw together so I"m trying to figure it out.

1. The valley pan has a rubber seal pressed into it on the top. It looks like a crankcase breather but something probably plugs into it but I'm not sure what.

2. The intake manifold ends near the back of the engine. I can see part of the heads behind it. There's also a tube that's nurled at the top, about 3 inches sticking out of the passenger side head. I'm not sure what goes there.

I've attached a photo to see if it looks right to any of you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0731.JPG
Views:	393
Size:	659.5 KB
ID:	19793  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 11:26 AM

That appears to be correct. The valley pan seal is for the pcv valve. The fitting at the rear of the right side head is for the heater core hose.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

That all makes sense, thanks.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

One other stupid quesiton. Will this engine turn clockwise, facing it when the engine runs? How about the distributor?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 12:43 PM

Technically, the engine turns counterclockwise, however when looking at it from the front, it will be turning clockwise. From the top of the engine, the distributor will be turning COUNTERCLOCKWISE.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Yepper ... as viewed from the front of the motor, staring at the balancer, it turns clockwise. Distributor, viewed from above, turns counter-clockwise. 'Correct' orientation of the distributor is to have the vacuum canister hose fitting pointed at the drivers side head/fender, rotor tip pointed at the firewall with the engine at TDC compression on #1 cylinder. Firing order is 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2.

PCV valve inserts into the grommet on top of the lifter cover, other end of the hose goes to unported manifold vacuum - either a fitting screwed directly into the top of the intake manifold or to the large fitting coming out the rear of the carb (if not used for the power brake booster). Going into the manifold directly is better because this air tends to be somewhat "dirty/oily", so if you route it through a vaccum source on your carb it'll work, but it'll get those passages in the carb pretty nasty over time.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, that helps a lot but I had some other advice saying at #1 TDC on the compression stroke, the rotor points roughly in the direction of #1 cylinder so that tower on the cap becomes #1 and the firing order continues from there. Any thoughts?

Also, I could use a photo of how the power steering pump and alternator attach to the engine if anyone has one, no AC. I"'ve got 2 brackets for the alternator, not sure exactly where they attach to the engine. The PS pump is there and there are brackets and one long bolt but I'm not sure how it goes. I could probably figure it out but a picture is worth 1000 minutes of scratching my head.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by funbooker View Post
Thanks, that helps a lot but I had some other advice saying at #1 TDC on the compression stroke, the rotor points roughly in the direction of #1 cylinder so that tower on the cap becomes #1 and the firing order continues from there. Any thoughts?
I'm attaching a .pdf to this message that is a scan straight out of the factory assembly manual. It shows the orientation of the distributor, and where #1 plug wire goes to on the cap.

Of course it doesn't really matter, as long as all the timing relationships are right, the engine really doesn't know or care which terminals the wires go to as long as they get "lit" at the right time and in the proper sequence.

Bear
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Distributor.pdf (80.5 KB, 105 views)

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in