User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
quick ratio steering box problem

hi, well i bought a 2.5 turn box fitted it and found i could not turn left fully, my drivers tire goes past gaurd lip about 1 inch on left full lock, passenger side goes past gaurd about 4 inchs on right full lock, so turning left has big issues, we have checked and pittman arm is facing straight back as it should, wheels were straight when fitting , there are only 4 positions on the arm for fitting and the other postions willl put the arm way out of alingment, bottom line my mechanic said new box is fitted correctly, he believes the box is faulty, the sellers wont refund, they say i should have bought a 3.5 to 4 turn box, my understanding of quick ratio boxes is they change the internal gearing to give less turns of the steering wheel but still have the full turning circle, the seller disagrees, they just say i bought the wrong box and to buy a 4 turn box, i simply ordered a 2.5 turn box for a 67 gto and now cannot turn left fully, general info i get is the box is suited to a later model car, so who is right ? i think they sold me the wrong box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah, there are stops internally inside the steering box that have to be set right and they're different between F-body cars and A-body cars. The number of turns lock to lock doesn't really have anything to do with it. I had my original steering box rebuilt into a quick ratio unit - I think it's something like 2.7 turns.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
What is the original app for the steering box?

Perhaps you can get a parts manual on it and set the stops yourself.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 11:05 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
A lot of the quick ratio boxes won't give you as much lock to lock steering as the original, slow ratio box. But one side only means the box is bad if the pitman arm is centered properly. I friend bought the quick ratio box at NAPA and I bought a stock box at the same place....like $138.....and, driving both cars, I prefer the stock box. It does have a lot more "road feel" than my old original box, though...like a modern car.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
i have ordered a new quick ratio box from PY i think PY will have the right stuff, i am still trying to get a refund from the previous seller as i wont use any boxes from them again...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Make sure you post the sellers name if they won't refund, so no one else here makes the same mistake.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Jim

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure if its the same issue as I had but what I found was:
1. The 'Coupler' that connects your steering wheel column to your box has to be right.
What I mean by that is that you need to make sure the box starts in the exact center rotation location (Wheels Straight'and mark that on the shaft and the box with the donut off....... Center your steering wheel and match up the 'Donut Coupler' on the box with the other half on the steering column. Once this is done all you should have to do is possibly pull your steering wheel and recenter it slightly.

Hope this helps. Let me know if this works out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in