RamAir Restorations Exhaust Manifolds - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RamAir Restorations Exhaust Manifolds

First of all i'd like to thank anyone that has some input on this one. I'm dropping in a 1973 pontiac 400 in my 1967 GTO, when we bought the car it had a 1975 pontiac 350 in it. I pulled the 350 and had a friend rebuild the 400, and I have been working on getting the 400 in the car but i've run into 2 problems. First, I am now using tall moroso valve covers and the driver side is hitting the brake booster. Second, I have the motor in the engine compartment bolted up to the auto trans, and have the new Ramair resoration exhaust manifolds bolted on to the round port Edelbrock Aluminum heads, the problem is that I cant get the motor mounts to drop down onto the brackets on the frame where they bolt up. It looks like the engine is about 1/4" too far back in the engine compartment and is on some kind of bind. Has anyone on here had this problem with the round port exhaust manifolds, and also does anyone have an idea how to get the tall valve covers to clear the brake booster? Any advice on how to get the engine in and running would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 06:47 PM

Did you use the motor mount from the 350 on the 400 ? Did you mount on correct bolt pattern?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

motor mounts

I did just use the same motor mounts off the 350 I thought they would be the same. Is there a difference? Also do you know the correct way to bolt them on. I thought I bolted them on the same way they bolted to the 350.
Thanks.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 09:17 PM

If your block is drilled for it move them back.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 09:21 PM

You mave have to undo the trans mount and see if that will let it drop down. You did say you had allready bolted the bellhousing?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Photos might help if you can post some. You may wind up having to swap to a smaller diameter brake booster to get clearance for the taller rocker covers. If it helps to have a ball park reference measurement, on my 69 GTO the distance from the firewall to the back of the passenger side rocker cover is 4 1/2 inches.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

exhaust manifolds

Well, good news is I found the problem, bad news is the new exhaust manifolds are hitting the frame of the car(see pic) I pulled the engine out today and now I think I will relocate it back about 1/4" in the engine compartment so I can get the engine to sit down on the mounts where it goes. Any Ideas on how to re-locate the engine back? Has anyone else had this problem? I'm thinking of pulling the brackets on the frame that the mounts bolt onto and slotting the holes with a dremel about 1/4" and then re-installing them.
Thanks again,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaust manifold.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	611.1 KB
ID:	15745  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Well just in case i'm still working on getting the motor in, i've slotted the holes in the frame of the car and re-located the engine back about 1/4" back in the engine compartment. But now I'm still struggling to get the motor mounts lined up and the tall valve cover is still hitting the brake booster. Anyone got any ideas on the valve covers, is there another brand besides Moroso that offers a reasonable price on some tall valve covers that might fit. Also has anyone had to go to a smaller booster to avoid hitting the valve cover.
Thanks for the input.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

exhaust manifold problems

I'm wondering if anyone else has had so many problems with Ram air restorations exhaust manifolds. As you can see in the pictures below now that the manifolds are bolted on the engine sits crooked in the engine compartment. The problem is that the driver side manifold is hitting the frame of the car. I have re-located the engine aprox. 1/4" back in the engine compartment to avoid hitting the frame but the manifold still rests against the frame, which leads me to think that it could damage the manifold in the long run by rubbing on the frame. If anyone has some input on how to get the engine in and lined up without having to flat out notch out the frame of the car to get the manifolds to fit it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motormountdriver.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	497.0 KB
ID:	15821   Click image for larger version

Name:	motormountpassenger.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	518.0 KB
ID:	15822   Click image for larger version

Name:	engineslope.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	941.7 KB
ID:	15823   Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaust manifoldtight.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	464.8 KB
ID:	15824  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Something's not right. Everyone I know always raves about how well they fit, and you shouldn't have had to move the engine at all. I'm wondering if you've got the right motor mounts and if they're mounted in the right locations. Unfortunately right now I'm away from all my reference material so I can't check it for you.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in