User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
The first time I rebuilt my 400, I used the viton seal. I siliconed at the areas specified in the installation instructions, ... result .... leaked like a bad diaper on a baby. The following winter I installed a new forged crank, so naturally, I installed a new viton seal from a different supplier, it was slightly different from the first one I installed. I even made sure the seal mating surfaces were not on the same plane as the bearing cap. The result was the same. IT LEAKS badly. I'm seriously considering trying the graphite rope seal mentioned in a previous posting. I seriously wish you good luck, and if you accomplish a leak free seal, please let me know how you did it.

THANX
JeffW
I had the same experience with a Viton seal, followed directions and it leaked bad, real bad. Sounds like this new Graphtite seal is the way to go. I'm doing a teardown this winter and based on all the good press I'm definitely going that way. Glad I looked on tech forum today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How come I cannot see any pics on this thread. It would be helpful as I am on the same boat with oil dripping from the engine
post #93 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This may be the wrong place for this question but this is my first post and am not computer literate. '70 GTO with 400 engine, automatic trans. Front engine seal blowing oil so bad that other cars are backing away when driving. Do I have to pull the engine to replace the seals, both front and rear?

post #94 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 02:24 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharecropper View Post
This may be the wrong place for this question but this is my first post and am not computer literate. '70 GTO with 400 engine, automatic trans. Front engine seal blowing oil so bad that other cars are backing away when driving. Do I have to pull the engine to replace the seals, both front and rear?

I am not being evil here, but if you have to ask a question like that I assume you have never worked on an engine. So the first thing I highly suggest is to begin by purchasing a Factory Service Manual for your '70 GTO. The manual will answer your question as well as others.

Front seal can be done with engine in the car. You want to make sure that the snout on the balancer hub is not worn/grooved due to an old hardened seal wearing into it. They do make a repair sleeve that goes over the snout to make it smooth again, so you want to look for this or you may have the same leak with a new seal. You could also go with a new balancer if funds allow - which is a good investment and not too expensive.

If you are talking about the rear main seal, you would want to pull the engine to make things easier.

Last edited by PontiacJim; 11-23-2018 at 10:26 PM.
post #95 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
..... You want to make sure that the snout on the crank is not worn/grooved due to an old hardened seal wearing into it. .......
Um, isn't the front sealing surface the balancer hub?

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #96 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 10:23 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
Um, isn't the front sealing surface the balancer hub?

Bear
That was just a test to see if your would catch it. LOL DUH, you are correct. I wrote the response with one foot out the front door going to the mall, so got it wrong. Will edit my post. Thanks for the catch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in