User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Well I got the exhaust all done. Now I can hear i knocking sound coming from the passengers side. I think it is a stuck lifter. So I took it to the builder and he says pull it or his service shop will do it for $1600.00 Ouch and he will dismantle it and find what has went wrong, he says it sounds like a piston to him. But the bad thing I noticed is a leaky Rear Main also. So I am going to have to pull the motor again!!! I have heard to buy a Viton 2 piece seal " Rear Main Seal Kit TIP-RM300 with Permatex Ultra Black RTV Silicone Help don't know what to do. I put a link to a video to show you what it sounded like before I got the exhaust done
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pontiac-rear-main-seal-kit-TIP-RM300-with-Permatex-Ultra-Black-RTV-Silicone.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	109402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Viton rear main.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	507.8 KB
ID:	109410  

Last edited by Cory Wood; 04-24-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Garage
Cory, get yourself a long piece of wooden dowel, or perhaps a cut off section of a broom handle (works good due to the rounded end). Press one end into your ear, put the other end on various parts of the engine with it running and making the sound. What you're doing is using it like a stethoscope. This will help you localize where the sound is actually coming from, be it near the rockers or down in the block. That'll tell you something about possible causes.

I'm in the process of a rebuild on my engine and this time I used one of the new 1-piece rear main seals from BOP. Your leak might be the seal, or it also could be the oil pan gasket. I shot some video of installing the BOP 1 piece rear seal that I still need to edit together and post. It's a very good solution to one of the "main" problem areas in Pontiacs.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
Cory, get yourself a long piece of wooden dowel, or perhaps a cut off section of a broom handle (works good due to the rounded end). Press one end into your ear, put the other end on various parts of the engine with it running and making the sound. What you're doing is using it like a stethoscope. This will help you localize where the sound is actually coming from, be it near the rockers or down in the block. That'll tell you something about possible causes.

I'm in the process of a rebuild on my engine and this time I used one of the new 1-piece rear main seals from BOP. Your leak might be the seal, or it also could be the oil pan gasket. I shot some video of installing the BOP 1 piece rear seal that I still need to edit together and post. It's a very good solution to one of the "main" problem areas in Pontiacs.

Bear
Bear this old post I was just looking at. Wonder what happen beside him getting screwed by his shop. Maybe he push that broom handle in his ear a little to far. Just kidding buts it's funny how some just disappear. Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in