shocking wiper motor - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
shocking wiper motor

I pulled the dash out and put it back in a while ago. I just now got around to hooking up the wiper motor, (worked fine before). I turned the wiper switch and the wipers worked but the motor wont shut off or park, just keeps running, I also notice that if I touch the wiper switch and the ignition key I get a jolt. Obviously it's a grounding issue under the dash, where are the dash grounds located? My tach will work some of the time and other times it will peg and stay there, another dash ground issue? I hate electrical problems. Any direction will be appreciated. I also have an orange wire that I can't remember where it went, I think it is for the cigar lighter, would that cause problems if not connected?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 09:39 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
the wiper motor runs by grounding it thru the switch. if it keeps running, then it is getting a ground somewhere which could be thru the motor mounting or linkage or a short in the switch. problem is not likely dash grounds. you touching both is creating a circuit. you are the wire. orange is lighter, as long it does not short against something. it is always hot. Tach pegs is another problem. bad wire to coil.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

OOps did I type tach, I meant to say the oil pressure gage. I still think I have some sort of ground issue, this weekend I took it to a show and the gas gage was pegged (first time that happened) as well as the oil press, then the oil press started working about 10 miles in and a couple of miles later, the gas gage started working. Both would intermitantly peg for a while then come back. I wish I had done a better job of labeling and taking pics of the dash before I took it apart.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Unplug the connector at the wiper motor, turn it over 180 degrees, plug it back in.

(It's been awhile now but I think I had the same problem with mine --- that's what fixed it.)

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Tried flipping the connector, that didn't work either, tried every combination that was possible. I even unplugged all the connectors and bench tested it on the firewall and it still wouldn't park. The weird thing is, is that it bench tested fine when it was resting on the radiator support before I bolted it in. I don't have the gasket at the firewall for the pump, could that cause the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in