User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
starter and Ram Air exhaust manifolds

Adding a pair of Ram Air exhaust manifolds to my 1965 GTO 389.

Purchased the positive battery cable for H.O. /Ram Air applications. Got the battery cable tube that attaches to the engine mount. Got the solenoid heat shield.

What about the small wire that goes to the solenoid?

Currently is routes through the battery cable tube attached to the driver's cylinder head. That is all going away with the Ram Air exhaust manifolds.

Is there enough slack in the engine wiring harness to run that wire to the solenoid without getting too close to the manifolds?

Will I need to wrap the wire where it runs towards the solenoid past the exhaust manifold?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by extinctmake View Post
Adding a pair of Ram Air exhaust manifolds to my 1965 GTO 389.

Purchased the positive battery cable for H.O. /Ram Air applications. Got the battery cable tube that attaches to the engine mount. Got the solenoid heat shield.

What about the small wire that goes to the solenoid?

Currently is routes through the battery cable tube attached to the driver's cylinder head. That is all going away with the Ram Air exhaust manifolds.

Is there enough slack in the engine wiring harness to run that wire to the solenoid without getting too close to the manifolds?
I put mine through the engine mount tube after running it down the front driver side of the engine, behind the fuel pump. There was plenty of slack to be able to do that for me. I didn't add any insulation because the H.O. tube is long enough to protect it.
Note: I'm running headers, and also a RobbMc mini-starter that has a clockable body so that I can rotate the solenoid "down" and away from heat so that's why parts of the second photo look upside-down.

Bear
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181018_111816.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	115929   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181018_111844.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	1,012.3 KB
ID:	115931  
69matadored likes this.

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 12:58 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
My buddy did it just like Bear did on his '67. You want it protected by the tube, and not flapping around loose. Great pics!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

First of all, Merry Christmas. I am killing some time here before heading to my in-laws for the festivities.

I have my rebuilt numbers-matching engine installed in my car. I have started the process of putting the rest of the car together over the winter.

The first item of business is wiring the starter around the Ram Air exhaust manifolds. I took Bear's advice long ago and got the wiring tube that attaches to the engine mount. I also added the little heat shield for the solenoid. I installed all of this and the starter on the engine prior to installing the engine in the car.

I have now discovered the wires for the starter solenoid will require extending to re-route them towards the front of the engine and downward so they can run through the battery cable tube on the engine mount.

I have a reproduction M&H wiring harness I installed while restoring the car 15 years ago. I can cut the purple (is it 12 gauge ?) wire and the red (is it 10 gauge?) wire and solder an extension wire to both for reach.

My big worry is heat in that confined area around the solenoid and those big manifolds. I have already found on this site stories about starter solenoid wiring getting cooked despite routing them correctly. Is this common? Would it help to cover the wiring with something like the Classic Braid loom sold by Painless wiring? Would quarter-inch or half-inch be a good size?

I never had the problem with the wiring running through the vertical metal tube attached to the top of the stock driver's side exhaust manifold. Maybe I was lucky. I am a little nervous and wondering if I made a mistake switching to the Ram Air manifolds. My engine ran well on the machine shop dyno: 340 H.P. @ 4,839 rpm and peak torque was 443 at 3,018 rpm. I will post my story on this 389 later on. However, all this power won't do any good if my starter wiring melts.

As always, thanks for your input and Merry Christmas.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 04:42 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
I've used the woven asbestos sleeving on my starter and solenoid cables. I had an experience 30+ years ago where the red wire wore through on the metal tube and almost started a nasty fire. The sleeve will keep the rubber insulation on the wires from rubbing bare against the metal tube if there is any movement/vibration. They also keep the heat at bay. The vendors sell the sleeving, which may or may not still be asbestos, but it will be fire and heat proof. Cheap insurance for peace of mind.
BearGFR and 1968gto421 like this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
It's kinda hard to make the wiring in this area "too safe"....

Bear
geeteeohguy and 1968gto421 like this.

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I am going to get some heat sheathing for the wiring and wrap it as it enters the tube and all the way to where it attaches to the solenoid. The replacement battery cable I got from Ames has some of the asphalt coated fabric around it.

I wonder if it would help if I applied heat shrink tubing around the purple and red wires together from the point where it drops behind the alternator towards the fuel pump on the way to the tube.

Another matter is the clutch spring that attaches to the throw out arm. On the stock manifolds the pipe flange had a small hole where the end of the clutch release spring attached. The Ram Air/H.O. manifolds have heavier flanges without the hole. Thought about installing the lead pipe to the manifold and looking where the clutch spring would tough and mark the flange. I could take the pipe back off, remove the flange and drill a small hole in the flange on my mark.

Has anybody else installed H.O. manifolds on a '65 GTO? How did you install the clutch spring?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I just hooked my spring to one of the flange bolts.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

That's kind of what I was thinking zrsteve. I thought of using one of those exhaust manifold bolt locks behind a flange bolt and hooking the spring on the tabs that extend from it.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I have a question that you may help with. I too am installing Ram Air IV manifolds on my 65 and was wondering if there will be any issues with frame interference. These manifolds are pretty big so just wondering before I try to put the engine back in the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in