stroker motor junk - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
stroker motor junk

I had a 467 pontiac stroker motor i was running in my 67 gto less 100 miles on motor when i got off the freeway my oil pressure droped to less than 5 psi did an oil change let car sit over night started up today still 5 psi or less it goes up to 20 when rpms come up .i don't here rod rap plugs also all wet with fuel and oil were do i srart ...oh ya did a compression test 7 cylinders at about 185 psi one cylinder was 215 any ideas what i should do confused
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 05:38 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Fuel in the oil? What carb setup? Fuel pump? Pressure?

Sounds like could have washed the rings out with fuel or thinned the oil out so much there was no lubricity left and took out the bearings. Either way, not good. First thing I would have recommended was the compression test and you did that already. What kind of rings are you running? Maybe do a leakdown test also.

I'm afraid you already knew this and sounds like your gonna have to pull her. Hopefully it's just a matter of changing rings/bearings.

Any metal in the oil when you changed it? What oil are you running? Only 100 miles did it have break in oil in it with a zinc additive?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALKYGTO View Post
Fuel in the oil? What carb setup? Fuel pump? Pressure?

Sounds like could have washed the rings out with fuel or thinned the oil out so much there was no lubricity left and took out the bearings. Either way, not good. First thing I would have recommended was the compression test and you did that already. What kind of rings are you running? Maybe do a leakdown test also.

I'm afraid you already knew this and sounds like your gonna have to pull her. Hopefully it's just a matter of changing rings/bearings.

Any metal in the oil when you changed it? What oil are you running? Only 100 miles did it have break in oil in it with a zinc additive?
after the cam break in I dumped oil it had zinc in with all the bearing lube the oil that I replaced it was 15-40 with zinc added in also ran a wix filter and a ac delco filter the the rings are seal pro p-molly ...I was hoping to just do bearings and get some good heads not the stupid 670 I am running I should have went with a LS3 conversion

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Aren't a couple of the oil galley plugs a push in style like miniature frost plugs? Maybe one pushed out?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
Aren't a couple of the oil galley plugs a push in style like miniature frost plugs? Maybe one pushed out?
I wish that was all it is ill open the oil pan tonight ...my oil looked like it had 100,000 miles on it ..but has less than 100 miles I think my # 670 heads and timing did me in I need to find a good set of heads and go with a roller cam after I find and repair damage
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 04:50 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Yep, if it was pinging you very well could have hammered the bearings out, causing loss of oil pressure and further damage. Detonation will destroy an engine.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Yep, if it was pinging you very well could have hammered the bearings out, causing loss of oil pressure and further damage. Detonation will destroy an engine.
well i gave the car a leak down test and i have no more than 5% leak at 90 psi i am going to look in to all new bearings ....also i can get a set of fresh rebuilt #62 heads for $400 this should be better than my 670 i hope also maybe a roller cam and call it a day what do u guys think
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 12:39 PM
64-67 Expert

Your leak down numbers are fine. I don't know about the 62 heads, though. I think they are also around 72-75cc, which means high compression (and race gas needed).
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Your leak down numbers are fine. I don't know about the 62 heads, though. I think they are also around 72-75cc, which means high compression (and race gas needed).
i have 30 cc dished pistons i think my compression is 9.5 9.2 -1 looking for a open chamber head i do have 061 but need work
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 05:57 PM
64-67 Expert

061's are a good head. The very first open chamber head by Pontiac, introduced in '67. You may want to use them. You can get more information on them on the 'net.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in