Teething issues with a fresh engine/trans rebuild....66 Lemans - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Teething issues with a fresh engine/trans rebuild....66 Lemans

I had this car for about 15 years and it has always been a lot of fun to drive. Ran awesome for years and then last summer the engine spun a bearing so we pulled the motor and had it rebuilt. Warmed up the cam a little.....nothing crazy. I also had new bearings and seals put in the transmission. The engine is a 326 and the transmission is a Dearborne heavy duty three speed with a Hurst shifter. It has never been a monster by any stretch of the word but it has always been a fun car to drive.

The car is driving great and is as much fun as ever.....but I have noticed two small issues:

1. I get vibration from the clutch pedal and shifter right around 1200 RPMs. As soon as you take the R's higher or lower it immediately goes away. It is not tremendous but none the less is noticeable. The clutch seemed fine before.

Is the clutch bad or out of adjustment??

2. The second problem.....is that the trans has been foaming and gear oil comes out of the vent on top of the trans.....my trans guy changed the gear oil to Valvoline and I think this might have got it. Although I still notice a few drops.

Anyone have had a similar issue??

I am new around so thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sounds like this happened the same time as the bearing issue. (Hard launch, high RPMs) The Dearborn 3 speed is a very strong trans. so I don't think the problem is there. pull the trans. and inspect your clutch and pressure plate. Look for a crack around or near the input shaft area of the disc or a damper spring may be broke but what usually happens is part of the friction material of the clutch disc let go. (broke off) thus causing a vibration. foaming issue, use the right gear lube and don't overfill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in