windage tray bolt torque - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
windage tray bolt torque

I see the stock windage tray bolts are listed as a 15 ft.lb. torque, but Butler's website lists it as 24 ft. lb. with Loctite. What is correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 10:43 AM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
15 lbs, I went 18 lbs with Loctite.

Here are the other specs I used.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/torque.htm
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 11:20 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Unless you have a really good torque wrench that's been tested, 15 ft/lbs may be 18 ft/lbs. Mention that as after the first of the year, my 38 year old Craftsman clicker is going to the Sears Maintance depot, 3rd visit. Also have a 35 year old Craftsman beam type torque wrench and a dial type SnapOn, any guess to which one I trust?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for those specs. I should've went with a page I had on stock specs that said 15. I used Butlers website tech info that said 24 with Loctite. It seemed a bit much when I was torqueing and two of them acted like they weren't responding right. I backed it down to 22 and the torque wrench clicked. So, I have two at 24 and two at 22. But, I may have compromised the bolt. It felt like I was stretching it to the point of stripping or breaking. Now I'm not sure I will be able to remove, especially with red high temp Loctite. Why remove? I torqued all caps with ARP bolts to 100 ft. lb. and the main cap calls for 120. DANG!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 12:17 AM
Former Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion head View Post
Unless you have a really good torque wrench that's been tested, 15 ft/lbs may be 18 ft/lbs. Mention that as after the first of the year, my 38 year old Craftsman clicker is going to the Sears Maintance depot, 3rd visit. Also have a 35 year old Craftsman beam type torque wrench and a dial type SnapOn, any guess to which one I trust?
I am going to guess the beam type.

Unless it is a torque critical component I don't bother, I never strip or snap bolts anymore during assembly.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

I felt for something like that I should just use a ratchet to get the feeling for tightness. Now, I think I overdid it. You just don't have the same feel of tightness with the leverage of a torque wrench on some of the bolts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 03:13 PM
Former Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs72goat View Post
I felt for something like that I should just use a ratchet to get the feeling for tightness. Now, I think I overdid it. You just don't have the same feel of tightness with the leverage of a torque wrench on some of the bolts.
Exactly, after years of wrenching you get to know the feel for each bolt size.
On something like an intake manifold I just pattern in 15 pound increments by feel then use the torque wrench for the final pass.

I watch the needle on the torque wrench to see how close I got to 30 when the bolt starts to turn.
I start with a stubby ratchet and move up to longer ones depending on bolt size.
A good way to learn is to tighten to lets say 30 by feel then check with a torque wrench to see how close you are.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Heated the bolts lightly with a propane torch and they melted the Loctite and came right out. I re-tapped the holes and blew out to get any gunk out. Got a new set of grade 8 bolts, Loctite and tightened by hand what I thought felt good. Tried the torque wrench at 15, then 20 lbs. and it clicked. Heck with it. I know they felt good and tight, and they won't vibrate out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in