User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Northeast Rod Run 2009

Hi guys and girls,

My name is TJ and I've been on 2 Hot Rod Power Tours in the past (1999 and 2006) but the problem is that I can't get the time away from work, to go halfway across the country to join another one right now.

After talking to some of the other past Power Tour participants, that want to go on another one, but are in the same boat as me, I came up with a solution. I started my own trip this year known as 'The Northeast Rod Run' and as the name implies, it runs throughout the northeast U.S. This year we had had around 15 cars this year (from a 1937 Chevy to a 2008 Mustang) from areas like MA, RI, NH, and NY, with about a half dozen of them being veterans from previous Hot Rod Power Tours. This trip is open to all hot rods, old and new (next year I'm taking my big block '69 Camaro).

I was a litle worried how well this was going to turn out this year, but I knew before the first day was over, and people kept asking "Where are we going next year?", I knew I had something good going on.

With this being the first year, we learned a lot of what not to do and also what to do to make things run smoother. This is a very loosely organized event run by just myself and it has no fees or registrations. It is just about a bunch of car guys getting together on the open roads to have a good time.

Anyway, here are the details:

This is now going to be an annual trip that will usually only be 3 days long, and it will almost always stay in the northeast. I am keeping it around the first week of October (as were the original Power Tours) so that there will be less overheating problems with the cars, and most importantly, the foliage will always be close to peak in color.

These trips will always be concentrated around National Scenic Byways and not just trips down the interstates. With The Northeast Rod Run being a much smaller group the the Power Tour, it enables us to take much more rural routes and secondary highways than they Power Tour can, and I think that makes for a much nicer trip.

For example: This year we started at Mt Wachusett in MA and then followed the Connecticut River Scenic Byway through VT. From there we crossed over into NH and drove into North Conway by way of The Kangamanus Highway. The Following day we took more scenic routes past Mt Washington and made our way upto Bar Harbor, ME. On our final day we cruised 'The Loop' in Acadia Natioal Park and made our way up to Cadillac Mountain before heading home down old Coastal Route 1.

I believe next year will be starting in MA again, but then we will probably be heading up through VT and into upperstate NY.

If any of this sounds good to you, then check out:

MySpace.com - Northeast Rod Run - 99 - Male - SALEM, Massachusetts - www.myspace.com/northeast_rod_run

and

NErun2008 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

If you like what you see there, contact me through the Yahoo address on the MySpace page and I will add you email address to the list so you can get updates thoughout the year as more details come out.

Hope to see at least a few of you next year

Last edited by Northeast Rod Run; 10-31-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Just figured I'd bump this to the top because hotel bookings are going to start in the next couple of weeks.

This year the trip will again be starting at Mt Wachusett in MA. On the first day, we will be travelling though Vermont, up through the Green Mountains on the first day.

The second day will include driving right up near to the Canadian border (but staying in the U.S.) and crossing over into NY. Once in NY we will spend our second night in the Lake Placid area.

As always, this trip will be over the first weekend of October (October 3-5). it is the weekend BEFORE Columbus Day weekend

these are just a few of areas of interest that we will be driving to

Wachusett Mountain

Mount Equinox: Skyline Drive Toll Road

Driving the Veterans Memorial Highway at Whiteface Mountain in Upstate New York - Associated Content

any interested parties, send me an email so you can be kept up to date on the details of the trip
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

well, most of us have our rooms booked for the trip already.

for those that might be interested, here is a video of last year's trip

Rod Run 2008- Video

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

well, the trip is only about a month away. for those people that are going on the trip, and have sent me their email info, you will be getting the actual trip routes this week
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

an important email has gone out to those going on the run. a quick response is requested
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

our trip went off without a hitch. even with a bad forecast, the weather was pretty good

the only GTO that was supposed to go this year didn't make it, but you can check out some pictures in the gallery the new website. the site isn't much to look at, but it's just getting started

North East Rod Run
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Clubs, Events & Regional Discussion > Northeast

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in