1968 GTO after market tach problems - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
1968 GTO after market tach problems

put in a tach were the clock was. hooked the 12 volt then one to the coil with fuse the tack goes up when you first start it and that's it do you think it's because pertronix . I was told it would work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 07:51 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by green View Post
put in a tach were the clock was. hooked the 12 volt then one to the coil with fuse the tack goes up when you first start it and that's it do you think it's because pertronix . I was told it would work
Assume this is not a factory style aftermarket tach, but an add-on type.

You should have more than 2 wires. You should have a red 12V power wire. Black ground wire, White 12V wire for tach light, and Green wire to (-)Negative side of the coil.

No, Pertronix install should not create a problem, but there have been some tachs that may be affected by the conversion. I had Pertronix with a standard add-on type tach and had no issues.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

This is a factory replacement tach two bulbs 12 volt wire and one to the coil

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:08 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by green View Post
This is a factory replacement tach two bulbs 12 volt wire and one to the coil
OK. My next thought would be, how is it grounded? It may be a ground issue. It may be grounded through the circuit board or it may use a separate grounding strap/wire.

It could also be defective, but I would check all avenues first before looking for a refund or replacement.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

the circuit board has a ground and I tried a extra one it Must be bad . thanks for your advise jim
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I also have a 68 GTO with Pertronix and did the exact same thing. I had a NOS tach never used still in the GM packaging. I also installed it where the clock was. When I run the car the needle moves up ever so slightly. Maybe 500 rpm or so and then it goes down. There’s supposed to be an adjustment hole in the back of the tach for a very small screw driver to adjust it. I never tried it cause it was so difficult for me just to install it. I put it on the list to have someone other than me with my sausage fingers look at. That was 3 years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Paint Shop Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in