65 GTO Tail panel paint - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
65 GTO Tail panel paint

Greetings to all. I had my 65 tail panel rechromed and now I have to paint between the ribs and paint the pontiac letters as well. Problem is I'm not sure of the proper shades of black and white to use or where to buy it. I figured that airbrushing would be the best way to go. Has anybody gone through this?? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I restored mine a few years back. took me 2 days to tape it for the black, 1/2 day for the Pontiac letters. I just went to a local auto parts store and bought a can of "trim semi-gloss black" and just eyeballed the white with my front grill emblem. I came out very nice and I haven't had anyone break my stones n tell me i painted it wrong. im happy with the job. whatever paint you use, take your time tapeing. be patient n thorough with your preparation. good luck.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 05:32 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
SEM Trim Black is the paint you want. For the letters, GM Cameo Ivory or Ford Wimbleton White.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 05:35 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Also, no need to mask the entire panel, just the letters. You can simply spray the black on, and before it's totally dry, wipe the ribs with a rag that's damp with acetone or thinner wrapped around a sanding block sponge. Comes out great, and is quick and easy.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Can I ask where you got it re chromed? I bought an after market panel. It looks good, but the fit isn't all that good. I have another two panels but the chrome is pitted
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Also, no need to mask the entire panel, just the letters. You can simply spray the black on, and before it's totally dry, wipe the ribs with a rag that's damp with acetone or thinner wrapped around a sanding block sponge. Comes out great, and is quick and easy.
i dont suggest doing this, as runs or messy paint could be a problem. i highly suggest taping everthing but the area youre painting
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks all for great advice. It's all good stuff. I was thinking should I just spray it on from a spray can or should I use an airbrush application?? Does anyone know which type of primer I should use??

As far as re-chroming, I sent it to Superchrome in N.J. They were priced right and had a quick turnaround time. Between the ribs of my tail panel I had the most pitting, but I used Eastwoods Eurosoft Glazing Putty to fill in the pits. There was also some pits on some of the old chrome, but with the new chrome laid on, it kinds of hides and fills in the pitting. I contact a tech advisor from the GTO national club. He does car restorations for a living. he told me he deals with a company that re-does tail panels and they looks brand new, but they charge almost 2k for this service. I guess it's chump change since the average customer is paying 40k and up for their restorations. I saw that repos go for 500 bucks, but very few repos fit right. So new chrome, paint and hard work will cost me 200 bucks.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 09:01 PM

I have two that are worth restoring. I was quoted between 1000 to 2000 to get one done. The guy wouldn't give me a price on the front grills.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Do it yourself and save a ton of money. Superchrome in N.J. was cheap, well under 200 bucks for re-chroming and had it back in 3 weeks. I'm holding off on painting until I buy the rear light bezels, and I'll match up the black paint even closer.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 07:35 PM

SEM Trim Black is right on the money as was suggested, and so is Wimbledon White or Ivory. I've done restoration for over 4 decades and found lots of ways to make the process smooth and easy on many things. Also, ways to make the part look like OEM when it's done. Taping is fine for some, but do we think the "General" had folks on the line or in supplier shops taping that part? NFW as in "NO (fill in the blank) WAY". It was sprayed and wiped off where it wasn't wanted and most likely a 1pc mask covered the already painted letters. Now in order to make it a painless and authentic process you need to get the idea that less is more established in your psyche before you begin.

You mentioned primer too, and SEM also comes to the rescue with black Self-Etching primer. Now here's where less is more. You want 1 light coat of the primer on both sides of the fin (or in the "valleys"). Within 10-20min, not much more, take a smooth fine rag, even something synthetic, and wet it with solvent. DON'T SOAK IT, just wet. With a suitable backer (as suggested a sanding block works) gently wipe the tops of the fins. You won't get it all in 1 pass so don't try, but after a couple passes change the rag to a clean spot. Only take off what comes off easy, and there's sure to be remanants left behind on the fins. Once you've solvent wiped it and it's all dried up take a conventional soft rag on your finger tip and remove the remanant "film". It comes right off easy and leaves clean chrome behind. Do the same with the SEM Trim Black and you'll have what looks like NOS. Now here's where the fun begins. You want to make a paper mask around the letters. That's where taking your time and enjoying the work comes in. Lay the paper on the letter and scrub a pencil over each one. Cut em out with an exacto knife and it's better to be just a wee bit tight vs loose. The spray technique works on the letters too. Excess material will not only look all buggered but can make the detail/clean up process look like poop. Light easy coats rule the day and look like a GM part when done. Good luck, and show it off when it's done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Paint Shop Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in