best bumper primer/sealer - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
best bumper primer/sealer

Hello, can anyone recommend the best sealer/primer for my 1968 gto bumper? It is already sanded and all little repairs are done. thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 09:15 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onsetper View Post
Hello, can anyone recommend the best sealer/primer for my 1968 gto bumper? It is already sanded and all little repairs are done. thank you
All I can add is that whatever paint you select, it needs a "flex agent" to be added to it. This keeps the paint pliable rather than hard & brittle which will flake off the endura bumper. You might want to check with your local auto paint store as they should be able to help.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onsetper View Post
What did you use to make the repairs? Find out what product works best with whatever you used. Did you skim coat the entire bumper or just make spot repairs?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

spot repairs with polyester flexible. there were a few spots that were repaired years ago with plastic I was wondering if it is just easier to buy one from ames
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 10:51 PM

I don't think flexible polyester is going to bond to the substrate very well but I don't know for sure because I never tried it before. I did ask my Evercoat rep and they said it would not work on Endura bumpers. Every person I asked said that a two part epoxy is needed to repair the Endura bumpers. SEM and 3M are the two brands that I know of.

I guess it all depends on what your goals are.....if you want a very high quality finish that is likely to last a long time then the usual method is to have the bumper media blasted and then make your repairs. Deep cuts or gouges need to to be v cut so the epoxy repair can fill the groove and bond well. The SEM product has a primer product they recommend. The 3M product can be sanded to 320 grit and then primed with whatever primer works with the paint brand you are using. The primer should have a flex agent or compatible for use on today's rubber bumper covers (most are). If using a modern paint for color coat then you shouldn't need any special additive since modern paints are designed to use on flexible panels commonly found on newer vehicles. There is also a method to use your base color coat as the primer but that is a bit expensive since it requires quite a few coats to work properly.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Garage
Do *NOT* use regular primer/surfacer. I made that mistake on mine and wound up having to get it all bead blasted off when it cracked. If it doesn't need any repairs, then a good flexibile epoxy primer is all you need. I wound up using Southern Polyurethanes Epoxy Primer on mine. It's flexible enough without needing additional flex agent. If you have spots that need repair/filling, I'd probably try filling them with something like RTV silicone or similar, then a flexible epoxy primer over that.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Thank everyone.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 03:31 PM

I will be using SEM 39134 flexible primer surfacer for my 68 front bumper. I used SEM 39847 multi-plastic repair epoxy to fix any chips or low spots on the bumper. The tech sheet recommends their 39624 World Class Flexible Primer Surfacer which is a waterborne version of 39134.

I have also used 3M Automix 5896 EZ sand flexible parts repair to fix chips, gouges etc and it works just like the SEM stuff. I actually like the 3M stuff a little better since it comes in squeeze tubes so it's easier to use since you mix small batches at a time. The SEM stuff is in a cartridge with a mixing application tip and requires a special gun for the cartridges. According to my 3M rep....the 5896 EZ sand has been discontinued and replaced with 05895....still in squeeze tubes so that is a plus.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Paint Shop Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in