Choosing a unique paint color - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Choosing a unique paint color

So as I'm sure we all do in our restorations, I have been agonizing over what color I am going to paint my 70 GTO. Once I finish my quarter panel swap it shouldn't be long before I'm ready to shoot color. At first I was sticking to original 70 GTO colors. Orbit was my top choice for a while. And while it is very unique to the automotive world, it's one of the most recognized colors on a 70 GTO. Then I was leaning towards Atoll Blue. But it seems no one mixes it correctly these days. I've seen Atoll blue GTO's that had a greenish sheen to them, and some that almost looked purple. So I don't wanna gamble with that.Then when I decided that I don't care about what the die hard Poncho boys would say, I started looking at non-factory color options. My stipulations were: Unique (likely never going to see another 70 GTO with that particular color), Mean (one look and the opposing driver ruins his or her upholstery), and Gorgeous at the same time. I think I found a winner. Huntington Blue Pearl. I couldn't find a picture of a single GTO with it (or Pontiac for that matter), so it will be unique, and this Chevelle I found certainly looks gorgeous, but at the same time it looks like it will chew you up and spit you out. The 442 looks great too but the white top and stripes takes the mean factor away in my opinion. With the sharp body lines of a 70 GTO, I think the contrast will really make the color pop. Thoughts? Comments? Criticism?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reassembly01.jpg
Views:	942
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	55585   Click image for larger version

Name:	138402_Front_3-4_Web.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	55593  

"You Gotta Have Fun When You're Little!!"
-Dick Schindler

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 10:18 AM

Garage
I've got a Jaguar XK8 with Sapphire Blue that is very close to that color. Really like that color when it is shined up. Good choice in my opinion. Matt

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 11:46 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah, I really like that shade, classy and beautiful. Would look great on a 70 GTO.

Are you going to give it the Judge "appearance package" with stripes and spoiler? Love the look of the 70 Judge front and rear spoilers. I would add some blue Judge stripes and you'd have a winner.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Haven't gotten that far yet. It will have black grilles, maybe black hood scoops. Front spoiler if I can afford it. Already have a rear spoiler. If I do stripes I'll try to do something different with them as well. Ideas?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 01:11 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
My father had a body shop and he perfected the color Candy Apple Red. He painted many show cars and bikes that color over the years. It was a silver base with a light coat of red over the top so the silver shown slightly through the red. Hard to get right, but when you do it looks amazing. I think it would be great on a GTO.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 01:54 PM
Former Moderator

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Here ya go. These look great, makes it look lower in the front and cleaner overall. One of those details that set the car apart. I bought one for my 69 but it doesn't fit so I've got to hack it up and make it fit and look right.

1970 Pontiac GTO Judge Air Dam | eBay

+1 on Candy Apple appearance wise (with black and orange Judge stripes buried in the clear ) but is hard to get right and expensive. The color you picked in a base/clear would be repairable if the unforeseen should happen where the custom candy would be hard to match.

On a side note, I love Orbit Orange on 70 GTO's....but no other car!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Sorry but I won't be shooting red pretty much for the reasons you just mentioned. Also it coats everything in your painting area in red overspray. I painted my calipers red and just that had overspray on everything in my garage...

As for judge stripes, it's tough to make them different. I did however come across this... VERY cool in my opinion. Maybe this with a lighter shade blue? But who knows anyone who can paint fire? And do I dare ask how much??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	acc002-5300f4.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	55601   Click image for larger version

Name:	acc010-f4f4b.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	55609  

-Dick Schindler

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 07:00 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Garage
Check this GT-37 for ideas: 1971 Pontiac GT-37 | Hemmings Motor News

Nice blue that pops in your face. I like the Sword Stripe, but it seems to come only with the GT or GT-37 cut-out (and in 3M reflective material). You could buy the kit (or maybe just one side?) and have a graphics company reproduce it without the GT-37, and in any color. 1972 GTO's had a 9-line sword stripe, but it goes on the upper eyebrows on the fenders and I don't think look as good.

I would add a fender emblem, just because I think fender emblems scream muscle car. I don't know your engine size, but maybe the '64-'68 GTO 6.5 Litre emblem with "400" numbers above it; you can also get any number individually to make up your cubic inches if other than 400 or 455; maybe the '69 GTO fender letters; or even the Firebird "Formula 400" or "Formula 455".

I also think the car looks cleaner without the wheel well chrome and rocker panel chrome in the GT-37 blue.

If you want custom graphics, usually a graphics maker can design something for you or work off of your design. If you can find a company that does tractor-trailer or box truck graphics, they could do this. I work for a company that repairs trailers and we use a couple different companies that can make/supply the graphics when they get damaged due to a wreck or panel replacement.

I am looking myself to add some custom graphics I have designed for my '68 Lemans project. So a graphics company is where I will take my ideas and let them do their thing for me.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

I've seen that 71 on the internet several times before. Definitely a looker and a fantastic example of what a GT-37 should be. The blue /white combo isn't exactly what I am looking for though. My car isn't a GT-37, nor is it a Judge, so I might not put any decals or anything on it at all. My only problem right now is figuring out where to find BASF paint and how much it's going to cost!!

-Dick Schindler

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 10:42 PM

Love the flames

Man are those flames impressive!
The blue 442 is a fantastic shade!
No way would I paint any muscle car red. It just screams "write me a ticket officer".
Just my $0.02 worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Paint Shop Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in