Does paint color affect value - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does paint color affect value

Trying to decide on a paint color and how it will affect the value. I have a 69 GTO convertible original color is Midnight Green, Parchment top and interior. The previous owner had a custom Blue Velour interior put in it (to nice to remove and won't stick to your skin) that was done very professionally so I am going to stick with a blue exterior.

My concern is if I go away from factory color say a candy apple or some other modern color will I be adversely affecting the overall value of the vehicle greatly?

Also does anyone know what the original paint code/color is for the hood scoops?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
If you're painting it to sell, then I would go to the original color. If you are painting it to keep and drive forever, then paint it the color you like.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ever hear of "resale red"?

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
How about "Buy me Black"

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 07:28 PM

Garage
If it has a blue interior, check out this link, I want to paint mine this color. This car went to barrett Jackson, just some drool material. I am talking to the body shop about doing some stripes like this on mine for the judge stripes. I like the hot rod black spoiler.
Butler Performance and OverHaulin'

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 08:23 AM

as far as original value, allready has a custom interior, sooooooo, sure can't paint it green, with blue gut, white, blue, maybe black, White would be my choice, be surprize how many people like white, and would look right with blue gut, just saying
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 02:50 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Original is worth the $$$. That said, if it's a keeper, do what you want. Me, I'd change out the seat covers to Parchment and keep the Midnight Green paint. It's a cool color. IMO, NO shade of green would look right with a blue interior. You COULD paint it '65-'66 Blue Charcoal. That would look pretty slick!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 06:29 PM

As a professional certified vehicle appraiser, I can state that color DOES effect value .. both up and down. If you are going to keep it a long time, make it whatever color you want. If you may sell it in the not to distant future, stick with a correct factory color. Even some factory colors effect value. For example, my Corinthian Bronze '71 will bring less money than most of the other colors. Look at the top auctions.. how many brown cars do you see? Brown (and the bronze looks brown is anything but strong sunlight) is the least desirable color of them all even if it has a nice metallic sheen. 1971 GM red is safe as is black. With other colors, it really is up to the buyer's preference. There is a dark blue that is correct for 1971 Pontiacs but not correct for a GTO. Since my car has mods, the color is not critical, that will be the color after the car completes the Hot Rod Power Tour in June.

Larry in CT
1971 GTO
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:56 PM

I see your in North Branch, MN. I saw a blue 69 GTO vert advertised on craigslist up in Cambridge that was supposed to be a Ram Air III car. That car was blue with a custom interior if I recall correctly. Could this be the same car?

IF it is the Ram Air III car then definetly go back to original colors and swap the interior back to stock.

Since you asked about value, then the possibility of resale exists. Definetly return the car to stock colors.

John
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

GTO John funny how things come full circle, No this car was never on Craigslist, but I would bet a beer I spoke with you about a part I am looking for Center air duct and center air vent. It is a new Mexico car that was moved up to Wisconsin a couple of years ago and I picked it up over there. The car is near Cambridge now getting the body work done.

Any way if you have the air duct I am still interested, thanks all for the reply's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Paint Shop Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in