Engine Paint - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Engine Paint

Im painting my engine today(1970 GTO Judge). I have the right paint for the block, intake, and the timing chain cover. What color is the A/C bracket and the oil pan supposed to be. It was all painted black when I got the car. I also got some gray high heat primer. Im using Duplicolor high heat cermic paint and primer. I have some eastwood underhood black for the pulleys and alternator bracket. Just trying to see what color paint I need to buy for the odd and end stuff. Also one other thing, has anyone put on a high heat clear coat on the engine. If so, what are the pros and cons? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
pan engine color, ac bracket 60% gloss black (satin). If you are running iron heads they will brown eventually around exh ports because our cars are too bad ass for pretty paint....LOL, but seriously the primer should help and wont hurt, same with clear.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. This is my first restoration. Im learning what most people on here have forgotten. Thanks again.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I've had best luck with a coat of VHT flameproof primer on the manifold side of the head and a super thin coat of the metallic blue. Thicker is not better, seems to hold the heat and brown the paint. At least its easy to touch up for shows. Make sure to block of intake manifold runners to Carb heat or they will brown too. Good luck and post pics!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 08:45 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a paper which summarizes all the engine colors along with actual mixing formulas for the colors (along with Rally II Wheel colors). If you want to paint your engine using urethane paint for longevity, this is the way to go - the stuff in the cans is pretty cheap stuff... E-mail me for info.

Lars
[email protected]
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Is there anything you don't have a tech paper on Lars?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 10:22 PM

do you have the "gto restoration guide" by Paul Zaarine? that is probably the best book for detailed info on correct paint colors.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlambeauHO View Post
Is there anything you don't have a tech paper on Lars?
Actually, I have quite a list of original restoration & tuning how-to papers. For a complete list of all papers available, just drop me an e-mail request for the "Tech Papers Listing" and I'll send you the whole library listing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtosrus View Post
do you have the "gto restoration guide" by Paul Zaarine? that is probably the best book for detailed info on correct paint colors.
I don't believe Paul lists the actual mixing formulas for each color. I have developed the formulas for achieving the correct colors as outlined in Paul's book, developed from researching actual original engines and colors, and developed at quite a bit of personal expense. Steve Ames (Ames Performance Engineering) is using my mixing formulas to create the engine colors he's selling.

Lars
[email protected]
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 08:23 PM

learn something everyday. so there's different formulas for paint formulations? In Pauls book he just list 60 degree shine of say black paint for a bracket. I assume that would mean semi-gloss black, or say chassis black.
So is the paint that Eastwood lists as "underhood" black the correct color/shine?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 08:48 AM

I thought we were talking engine paint. Black is black - you just specify the sheen, such as 60-degree, as Paul specifies in the book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Paint Shop Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in