Help! Correct paint for interior - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help! Correct paint for interior

I'd like to buy the correct paint to restore the interior door panels. Where can I get it??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140212_164245.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	950.5 KB
ID:	38714  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 03:35 PM

Both Ames Performance and Performance Years carry the interior vinyl dye paints that can also be used on the metal trim. If you call them, I believe they will send you samples in order to get a match. I believe they are Omni Pak GM reproduction colors. Omni Pak is owned by the Krylon Products division of Sherwin Williams, so you might be able to go to local store with a high quality photo for a match.

I have a different color interior than you but used a spray can from Ames that was a close match.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 06:17 PM

Hi Berto504
I just got done ordering interior paint for my 67 from this place Color Chip Selection
It aint cheap and it took about 10 days total to get to me in NC, they are in California, 5 days to make it, 4 days to ship it, I got 2 Qts, 1, flat black, 1, 60% gloss, and some hardener with the shipping it was $114. I could NOT get this stuff from any place near me, I tried everywhere so I guess I was stuck. The places that mixed paint near me would not even try , as they had no formulas to go by. So, it is what it is. Hope this helps for you

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Twistytee View Post
Both Ames Performance and Performance Years carry the interior vinyl dye paints that can also be used on the metal trim. If you call them, I believe they will send you samples in order to get a match. I believe they are Omni Pak GM reproduction colors. Omni Pak is owned by the Krylon Products division of Sherwin Williams, so you might be able to go to local store with a high quality photo for a match.

I have a different color interior than you but used a spray can from Ames that was a close match.
His did your paint job come out?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 09:51 PM

My interior is original but in good shape (driver quality not concourse). It only required some minor touch-up on the upper door metal driver side. The Ames interior paint worked well for this purpose. It looks like yours is dark metallic green/turquoise which maybe a little tougher to match. I would recommend calling Ames or Performance Years and giving them your interior color code to see if they can send you a color chip.

If you have a lot of area to cover or are looking for a near perfect match, you may need to go the route suggested by tiger13 and find a shop that will mix to suit. I have also read that SEM automotive paints have been used by others with success. I believe Summit carries these as well as other online vendors. Hopefully someone else who has experience here will weigh-in.

Andy
'67 GTO/Signet Gold over Parchment/Pontiac Built
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 05:43 PM

It would be better if I knew where you are, but some professional jobbers that mix paint (PPG or DuPont) may have the interior color in their mixing data. I prefer PPG over anything else, even if the other was 1/2 price. So, going by that I'd recommend PPG's Shop-Line product and order what you need in basecoat. Also get 8oz of DX57 hardener. You mix the base and add a cap full to a ready to spray QT (paint and reducer, 50/50). This will net a low gloss and durable catalyzed finish. The other option would be be clear urethane with about 25% flattening agent, but you really don't need the clear if you add the 57 to the base, especially since it's the inside. A qt of base gives you 1/2gal ready to spray. The color doesn't appear to be that difficult and there's probably an exterior color from a current car that would work well too. Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Paint Shop Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in