Need paint help - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need paint help

Just got a 66 that's still a shell guy painted it 69 camaro t10 black but never did the firewall or undercarraige frame has been painted and body set back on would it be better to lift the body and paint the underbody and firewall or leave it the way it is and paint it ?gonna try my hand at pait work probrably crazy but gonna try any help would be appreciated..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
If the front clip is attached I would paint it on the frame, otherwise I would place the body of the car on a rotisserie and first spray with 3M's paintable undercoating sealer, then spray with a 60% gloss black paint.

JMHO

Randy

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
....would be best on rotisserie so you could flip it vertical, most (economy) spray guns do not like spraying upside down. If its bolted down and you have to spray it while on you will need to lift it enough that you can get under and spray it from all angles to get the recesses and around frame rails. Mine was Ziebarted when new and after 5 bags of coarse sand got blasted on it to no avail i just rustproofed the few areas it was light and called it good, if its been there for 45 years and i can't blast it off it should last another 45.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 09:07 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
I would just put it up on a rack and do it on-car. No reason to pull it off unless you run into rust issues. I'm in Instg8ter's boat with my '67: it was ZIebarted when new (Baltimore built car) and the stuff is still there doing its job. I have yet to do anything under mine...it is unrestored and I've had it about 30 years. It will be around long after I'm gone, I suppose! These cars were not originally heavily painted underneath. You can easily exceed factory finish quality with several cans of Rustoleum. How far you want to restore it is up to you, though.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
GeeTee the ziebart sticker was still on the inside of glovebox door but disintegrated when i wiped it, was able to save and mask around the Round original tire air pressure sticker and save it though.

could not save door stickers

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
know anyone willing to rent a roto cant afford to buy on for sure thanks for the tip what about por15 ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Paint Shop Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in