Paint - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Paint

Got some tiny spots on my drivers door that look like rust coming through. I'm 99 percent sure I would have noticed them before... too small to get a good pic but I know what exfoliation under paint looks like. I am physically ill... I texted my painter, been about 9 months since the paint job but still wouldn't have expected this so soon.... :thumbdown:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Don't let it bother you too much. I have some "spots" on my car and have "bad dreams" of doing another frame off or obsessing over how long before I have to repair them. In the long run I probably will but that won't stop me from enjoying the car as is for a while.

It's just paint and if you did base/clear it's fairly easy to repair and match.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 06:29 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
A big reason I don't like taking cars down to bare metal. I did a complete strip down on a '66 GTO I had for show paint.....and it took ten years for the little rust spots to start coming through. I did my '65 in 1985, and my '67 in 1993, but only blocked them to the original finish. Left all that old, factory installed primer intact. No rust specs or issues at all, after decades. Nothing beats the factory primer that was baked and cured, IMO. That said, these weren't rusty cars to begin with. But, what Alky says. Enjoy the car and keep tabs on the trouble spots. If they get too big or bothersome, they can be fixed.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

I was expecting it after 10 years and you guys are right, finishes are inferior in every way these days thanks to the epa etc... I just wasn't expecting it before I finished reassembly and my painter is not replying to my text.... I'll do my best not to let it get to me but jeez.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yup join the club- have spot on my " i should have charged you 20,000 for that" paint job
sweetest part is there are 2 right at the door handle on the pass side- started showing about 4 month after driving the car- ,now I just drink more beer and can see any of them

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
i agree with GeeTee, nothing like some lead in your primer to keep it affixed to the metal, only parts i have any problems are the few areas i did take down past the original primer Hood and one lower fender. not a big deal as you have to get on your knees to see the fender and i am getting a GTO hood done for it and with that paint i will probably do the fender up to the lower body line too. I keep on texting my painter too..... Guess besides being cheap thats why i decided to do it myself. I would be pissed too if i paid a "PRO" a lot of cash and had problems, not to mention all the stories of the cars lost in bodyshop limbo.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where on the door are the spots ?
If down low above rocker probably rust from back side
That about the only spot these doors rust out
If any where else probably some surface rust that started on some bare metal after sanding that sat too long before getting primer
Wet sanding through the primer exposing bare metal will start the rust process immediately.
I feel for ya.... some of Brent parts on his car have been painted for 8 months, I keep looking for spots to appear, so far so good, but I won't be shocked if they show up.
This is one of the reasons why I decided 15 years ago to quit doing rust repair and complete paint jobs in my body shop... way too many things to go wrong.
Like Alky said, pretty easy fix if it's base , clear. I wouldn't jump on it right away. Wait and see if you have other spots show up.

Good luck

Bill
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Its about 4 inches below handle and 2 inches forward. They are minuscule spots, definitely surface rust starting through. Could be from wet sanding, don't know how bad they will get buy its my experience that they will keep getting bigger. All I can do is hope its isolated to my door...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
pitiful

I hate to keep harping on the quality of ANYTHING these days, but I finally have succombed to the fact that the quality of ANY products used IS substandard at best, borderline criminal at worst, all in the name of "environmentalism", but in reality is merely a greedy foreign society trying to bilk foolish Americans into thinking: "Yeah. That looks pretty darned good. I'll pay top dollar for it." Then it is revealed to be sub-quality. You can pay top dollar to the man who has 40 years experience painting vehicles, but his hands are tied because of the choices in materials he must make. Unless you're a millionaire and can afford the "black market" goods, I'm afraid that we are all doomed to to this faux-finish world!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
greedy foreign society ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Paint Shop Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in