Paint Idea Opinions - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Paint Idea Opinions

So I was debating doing something a little bit different with my car. I have a 66 GTO, and I was planning on doing a deep purple color. Something akin to the 67 GTO in XXX. I was talking to my best friends dad and he was saying that I should paint it a color that the car was available in originally. I said that I wasn't a big fan of most of the colors available aside from black and white. But black is too hard to keep clean and I don't think white would be eye catching enough. Then I was thinking about a car I saw, I believe it was an AC Cobra kit car. It had white paint and a black stripe, but all of it was flat. So I was thinking to do a similar paint job on the GTO, with SS style black stripes with red pin striping outside the black stripes. Then have all of the chrome powder coated black, and some black wheels with pin stripes like were on the schwartz performance tempest.

This isn't the exact car, but close enough.

1966 GTO 428ci/4spd - spun bearing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecision View Post
So I was debating doing something a little bit different with my car. I have a 66 GTO, and I was planning on doing a deep purple color. Something akin to the 67 GTO in XXX. I was talking to my best friends dad and he was saying that I should paint it a color that the car was available in originally....
Are you going to paint it (and how experienced are you?) or are you going to have it done?

Also, are you building the car for yourself to enjoy, or to try to maximize value for someone else whenever you eventually sell it?

If you're building it for you, then who cares if it's a factory color or not? Unless you paint it the factory color that matches what's on the car's data tag, it doesn't matter if it's a factory color or not.

Please yourself first. I've been seeing a dark metallic red lately on some cars that I think is just gorgeous - but that's my taste -yours might be different.

If you're going to paint it yourself, and if you're not an experienced painter, then I understand that metallics are harder to get uniform in color and appearance. Solid colors without shiny/metallic in them are easier to do, I hear. Of course, if you're experienced at it or if you're having it done, then none of that matters.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

I can do anything mechanical with confidence, I leave body work to people with experience and more patience than I do.

I am building the car for me, not for anyone else. I plan to leave it to my godson or something if I ever die (**** having my own kids.)

He just had recommended painting it a factory color and got me thinking about how bad ass the Cobra looked. It was different, sleek, and clean. It wasn't the fact that he thought I should paint it a factory color that got me going on it.

I am just curious if anyone thinks that it would either look terrible or awesome or whatever. I have never seen a GTO or other big body car like this painted the way I am talking about. I do love the Schwartz car though, and it would be similar, just white. I am also unsure if stripes would look good on a pre-68 gto. I haven't seen any with them personally.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
i like the matte black look, thought about keeping mine in the black epoxy for a while, then decided to bite the bullet and paint it. a nice gloss color with matte rally stripes would look nice, have seen one 66 GTO like that.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

The way I am thinking to do it is to make EVERYTHING matte, white, with black stripes, a red pin stripe outside the black stripes I think. Then powder coat all of the chrome matte black.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I think stripes down the center of the hood would look better on a 67 than they would on a 68+. I was thinking about striping my 69, but figuring out exactly what to do with them over the front of the nose was problematic for me. I just couldn't think of any pattern that would look 'right' there. I thought about the 'Ram Air V' stripe treatment on the Royal Bobcat briefly, but decided it was 'too much" for what I want and also too identifiable as belonging on that car... so, I'm going with solid "lose yourself in it" gloss black and going to call it good.

I like your idea!

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if you paint it matte white you better put it in a museum. if it gets bugs or hand prints or anything that you have to rub hard to get of you will end up with "polished" spots.

Shane Doss

66 tempest
64 el camino
02 mullis dragster
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 07:34 PM

Garage
Black !

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

You are nuts Eric. I think I am going to end up doing the purple like I originally planned. Matte cars look awesome, but they are impossible to clean. I just got excited thinking about how sweet that cobra looked.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
If you like the Swartz car, you really need to check out Tremecs 66 Chevelle, I was drooling over it. I think it was actually at the same location as the pic you put up of the GTO. I will post the pic when I have a minute, it was flat, with hot rod black stripes, awesome car.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Paint Shop Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in