LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to firecatsrt
Paint pricing

I've got a guy coming over to give me an estimate on paint for my car. Just out of curiosity, what range would be decent? There are 2 small dents that need to be fixed, body is solid. I know noone can say X amount without seeing the car in person, I'm just trying to get ideas so I don't get taken to the cleaners. They are going to be stripping it, blocking, etc, and I'm looking to do the color my grandfather started painting it before he passed. Firestorm red, off the 96 viper. I'm not worried about a show winning paint job, but don't want some cheap crap that's going to fade and peel in 6 mos. Here's a pic of what the car looks like right now in the garage.

71 LeMans Sport (72 gto front end)
97 gtp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 10:42 PM

take the number you have rolling around in your head and multiply it by about 5. i bought a pint of red paint for my dash 2 weeks ago. it was $80. just the basecoat. not counting clear and hardener and reducer.

Shane Doss

66 tempest
64 el camino
02 mullis dragster
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
GET THE ESTIMATE IN WRITING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
paint jobs go up quick when little issue arise- not sure what part of NY you are in but location plays a part in pricing, but roughly to strip, body work , prime, block, re prime, shoot jams, then shoot body, clear , cut and buff you can be looking at anywhere from $5000-$15000. and if your painting might as well remove ALL weather stripping and replace it,removing everything you can will save some labor costs( bumpers, marker lights ,trim etc)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
well I was figuring on 10k. I have new weatherstripping, have taken off all the trim, the door handle you see is the only hardware left on the car, the marker lights I can take out quick. As far as where in NY, I'm just outside of Syracuse (cny) The front end is just set on with a few bolts, so it won't take much for them to take it apart to paint. By the time they get it to paint it will also have a new edp coated trunk lid on it since it is the only part of this car in rough shape with filler on it.

97 gtp
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 07:29 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I think you're gunna end up spending all of that and maybe some more. Agree about getting everything in writing including how much they are going to put back together after the repaint, and a time table with consequences if they don't make the delivery time.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 07:54 AM

delivery is what i was going to mention also. take the amount of time the tell you it will take and multiply that by at least 2.

Shane Doss

66 tempest
64 el camino
02 mullis dragster
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 11:46 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
The "in writing" aspect is critical. I have a good friend who paid 10 grand two years ago up front, and he still hasn't got his car back. Was done initially, was done wrong, and now that the money's been spent, the motivation to redo the car correctly is gone. Get a reputable paint guy, and get it in writing. Ask around, etc. If you try to "make out" and get by under the table and on the cheap, you will get predictable results, all bad. Good luck!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, I've heard good things about this guy, seen some of his collision work, etc. It is down to him and a guy that is actually doing my uncle's chevelle right now. Waiting on my uncle to call back to let me know what he's paying and to see his work. I have seen a few cars that guy has done as well and they all look great. Both are fairly close so I'll let ya know what I come up with.

97 gtp
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yes i will say again get it in writing and a time schedule- my car was at the shop for 14 months and a quote of 3.5k-4k ended up over 10k WITH A CAR THAT HAD NO RUST!!!!!!!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 06:47 PM

Garage
I got a quote of $2200 for my Lemans, and 3 weeks to complete, but I strip the trim and all chrome and reassemble. He just painted my Vette and did a great job, base, clear, blue and red pearl in clear, wet sand, buff for $1400. But, I did say I had more work for him if it went well, and it did. Car came out really nice, and took him a week. He removed the door panels, mirrors, door handles, front tag, back masked everything with foam, no paint lines in the jams or under hood.. And he likes doing old cars..
Lemans should be at the body shop right now, but a ticking lifter turned into a flat cam lobe, and an engine pull for detailing..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Paint Shop Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in