Paint Question - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Paint Question

Hi guys, Im new here, great site! Anyway me and my father are going to give our 66 a new coat for the summer....this will make the car a really nice driver until our new garage is built and we can make the car really perfect. The car is its original color, but was re-painted with laquer about 20 years ago. What is the best paint to shoot it with now, or do I have to use laquer again. (preferably no)

Thanks, Johnny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
how much rust? how much body work will you be doing on it? if you answered little or none to those two questions best bet to "get by" until you have the facility's to do a correct resto would probably be a couple coats of 2k high build primer (wet sanded to 500 grit) with a few coats of 1 part acrylic enamel, color matching the existing so you don't need to mess with jambs. am doing the body on mine now.....to do it "right" it is a ton of labor to iron all the wrinkles out of these old, long, flat panels even with what appears to be a straight rust free car....i most have 100 hrs in block sanding and filling to straighten and i am 1/3 of the way (both sides ready, still need to do hood roof and trunk) for primer, and then i have to block it all at least two more times and wet sand it before it is ready to see color, now you know why a good restoration shop will charge up to 20,000 for their services. i say if it drives drive it, buff it out and wax it....build the shop, and take it apart next winter and do it right and only do it once. it is the most expensive part of a restoration for a reason.

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...966%20Tempest/

Brian
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 07:08 PM

I really like Imron. I painted my goat 12 years ago and it still looks like new.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
my dad used to work restoring airplanes and thats all they used. i painted my 69 firebird in it back in the day, tough stuff.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 09:07 PM

if you plan to grind it back off soon and do it over just use a single stage acrylic urethane paint. dupont nason is a good cheap brand.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

We have plenty of Imron...but I heard that a car painted with laquer takes special precautions to be re-painted or the paint wont lay down well. Laquer needs to be wet sanded and buffed...which is a pain. In a perfect world Id use Imron, but Im not sure if a laquer car can..thats the question lol
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast fun 2 View Post
We have plenty of Imron...but I heard that a car painted with laquer takes special precautions to be re-painted or the paint wont lay down well. Laquer needs to be wet sanded and buffed...which is a pain. In a perfect world Id use Imron, but Im not sure if a laquer car can..thats the question lol
you can paint enamel over lacquer if its good shape but you cant paint lacquer over enamel. lacquer will lift enamel.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethinker View Post
you can paint enamel over lacquer if its good shape but you cant paint lacquer over enamel. lacquer will lift enamel.
Thank you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Paint Shop Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in