Paint/value - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Paint/value

Not looking to sell or change paint scheme. But my question as being younger then seeing these cars in their prime. We all see the resale red. Mine is some sort of blue looks good and I usually hate blue cars. But originally it was antique gold. The more I look at that color the more it grows on me. Now in a situation like mine. Car is no where near original, value is what someone would pay I get that. But would original paint color change value on a car that doesn't have and original/oem parts. No 400 different Trans different rear, interior out of a 2006 gto. That's before we get to roll cage and so on. Just debating it at work. Plus what these guys think the cars worth I might try and get one to buy it lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

The reason there are 4 Gtos here we drove them in today my 69 a red 70 black 67 and silver 06. 67 is original mine is not 70 is resale red repaint auto removed and 4 speed Muncie put in also it's a convert. I'll try to take a picture when I get out
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
My opinion, YMMV - considering the other changes, I don't think it's going to make much difference one way or the other. Overall condition is going to matter more than originality in your case. Do what pleases you.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I was just curious over all. I didn't do much research other then verifying it was a gto when I bought it. But after following the forums blew my mind how much things change the value. I have no intentions of selling. But am looking at possibly buying that red 70 convert for my wife. So trying to get all the details so I can make a fair offer. Just wasn't sure how much value change there is so I used mine for the example.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 07:54 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
What Bear said. In your case, it's the quality of the car overall, due to it's being modified/altered from dead-nuts original. Now in my case, I changed the Signet Gold to Burgundy on my otherwise 'correct' '67 GTO ragtop, and that definitely lowered the value on resale. Changed the interior from gold to parchment while I was at it. That was 22 years ago, and I'm still glad I did it!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
What Bear said. In your case, it's the quality of the car overall, due to it's being modified/altered from dead-nuts original. Now in my case, I changed the Signet Gold to Burgundy on my otherwise 'correct' '67 GTO ragtop, and that definitely lowered the value on resale. Changed the interior from gold to parchment while I was at it. That was 22 years ago, and I'm still glad I did it!
As one person here said ages ago, you can build it for yourself or for the next guy. Considering that the next guy's taste is always unknown, the only way to build it for him/her, is to go with a 100% original restoration. Otherwise, build it to make you happy and it will.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Funny. I logged on to post about color change vs value and I find the perfect thread. My 64 GTO post coup project is moving along very nicely. We purchased car with original drive train (389 4 bbl, 4 speed, 323 rear) 68k original miles. Had the engine freshened. Shop said it was never opened. Didn't even need an over bore. Updated brakes to front disk and dual booster. Added some headers and new exhaust. Runs strong. Sounds awesome. Body has been taken down to metal and repaired were needed. HERE is the question. Interior is red and on nice shape. Exterior original color cameo ivory (or refrigerator white as some have called it).
My Dad had a silver mist 64 convert new in 64. He is part of the project. Since the body is stripped down and we are not building a show car, do we change the color to a different 64 Gto color like Yorktown blue or silver most etc? Given that 64's are a bit harder to find, just wanted opinions.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 10:47 PM

Do what you want. I chose to paint my 67 GTO Linden Green instead of Signet Gold because I didn't want a gold car. I never once regretted my decision.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Lol younggto. I bought my antique gold didn't know that was original. But it needed paint. And I hate blue cars. The blue was so sharp I painted it blue. Never thought to look up original color. Never planned on. Selling built for me. But those long 12 shifts start talking with like minded people and questions arise. I know with mine it's worth what someone will pay there is know this is the going rate. I started the thread because there are several about engine swap period correct swap so on. Now that my buddy is thinking of selling his 70 convert. Worked with him 15 years so I know the work that went in. I was curious cause I am thinking of making an offer. I just wanted to be fair. Car does have some issues definitely not a 10.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 10:40 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Tug, as original and unmolested as your '64 is, you will decrease the value of the car significantly by a color change. Cameo Ivory is not refrigerator white....it is much creamier, more of an off-white. While not my favorite, it really looks sharp with a red interior and red pinstripe/redline tires. That said, it is your car. It's your dad. It's your life. Did you buy the GTO originally to make money, or to make you happy? In the end, you have to do what you feel is right for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Paint Shop Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in