Is it stupid to change paint colors? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it stupid to change paint colors?

I'm sure I'll catch some grief for this, but here we go. My 1970 GTO convertible is pepper green with black interior. Honestly, I am not crazy about the pepper green. My favorite color has always been orbit orange, so I'm thinking about changing the color to orbit orange during the restoration. I'm not planning to sell the car, but If I did in the future, it seems an orbit orange convertible with black interior would sell fast, even if it was a judge clone. Plus, I just love the way that orange highlights the lines and curves of the 70. Is it wrong to paint a car to personal preference? I mean, I don't have plans to show it or anything and I'll never be able to afford a real orbit orange Judge convertible. Any thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 04:30 PM

Never is a long time. It is stupid to change colors. It is, short of cutting sheet metal, one of the worst things you can do. The cars that get the huge money these days are the ones that are stock.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 08:02 PM

it all depends what u want to do with it, i mean if u are going to keep it for a while i say u change the color, and when and if u want to sell the car, u can always change the paint color (although its quite expenisve)... but in my oppinion i would change it, if i didn't like the pepper green

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 05:15 PM

The bottom line here is that it is your car and you are the only person you have to make happy with the finished product. If you want to change it to something you like better than what it came with then do it. I'm doing the same thing with a matching number 67 that I have been after since 1984. I just aquired it after 20 years of persistance. It has 71,000 miles and is totally original needing a paint job. It is a gold car with a black interior now(original). It will be black with a red interior when I'm done to match my first 67 GTO many years ago. It is my car and that is the way I want it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Although a numbers matching car will bring the top dollar, all muscle cars from the 60's and 70's whether the paint matches the paint code or not are bringing big bucks. Look at the prices being ask for GTO clones.

Anyone who is concerned about a correct numbers matching car will probably do a frame off restoration anyway. Do what makes you happy!

Randy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Paint Shop Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in