User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
two questions: keep original paint / pinstripe

I have recently come to care for an unrestored 1966 gto convertible with original paint and was wanting opinions on whether I should repaint it or just try to get the small imperfections repaired and somehow have it buffed and polished. I dont want it to be a numbers matching trailer queen, but want to drive it and still preserve the value. Ill try to post a picture.

The other question I have is regarding the factory pinstriping. I have always been told that it was painted on instead of tape. Is this true?

Thanks for any and all responses!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121007_165150.jpg
Views:	1017
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	15844   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120407_172635.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	15845  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 01:46 PM

Keep the paint original as long as you can! You can restore a car a million times, but it's only original once! I would love to have my car have the factory paint. Even if it has a few blemishes, I'd much rather have imperfect original paint over shiny new paint.

Not sure if pinstripes were painted on originally.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 02:10 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
WOW! Yes, leave the paint alone, IMO. They are, indeed, only original once. Also, strange as it seems, original paint cars generate much more attention than do repainted/restored ones. And yes, the pinstripe was hand painted. To quote the Big Little GTO Book: ".....The '65's had stripes on them, and the early ones were put on by hand. They had these guys over in Plant Seventeen that used to stripe these cars---boss went around and asked has anybody used to be a striper? They had some real old guys who went over and they hand striped those cars. Later on, they had a thingamajigger to stripe them."
From what I've been able to determine, GTO's had painted stripes at least through the '67 model year. They may have been done with a striping tool, rather than a brush. Still a hand operation, though. NICE CAR, BTW...

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
WOW! Yes, leave the paint alone, IMO. They are, indeed, only original once. Also, strange as it seems, original paint cars generate much more attention than do repainted/restored ones. And yes, the pinstripe was hand painted. To quote the Big Little GTO Book: ".....The '65's had stripes on them, and the early ones were put on by hand. They had these guys over in Plant Seventeen that used to stripe these cars---boss went around and asked has anybody used to be a striper? They had some real old guys who went over and they hand striped those cars. Later on, they had a thingamajigger to stripe them."
From what I've been able to determine, GTO's had painted stripes at least through the '67 model year. They may have been done with a striping tool, rather than a brush. Still a hand operation, though. NICE CAR, BTW...

Even though I have resto-modded my '67 GTO mechanically and with updated seats and paint, I can't argue with geeteeohguy if your paint is in good shape. Nice car. Good luck with it.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 07:04 PM

Keep the original paint.

Mequiar's #7 polish/glaze works wonders on re-vitalizing old paint. Follow the directions and use a high quality wax after you're done with the polish/glaze.

1968 Pontiac GTO
1983 Pontiac Bonneville (G) wagon
2008 Pontiac G8 base
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
On keeping it original. Find yourself a local car 'detailer', one who specializes in working on show cars - high end stuff. He'll know what to do to bring the paint back and make it look as good as possible without damaging it. It's definitely an art, and they're worth the cost - especially on a car like yours.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 10:26 PM

Wow! - very nice car. I'll give another vote for leaving that paint alone!

'67 GTO 400 H.O. - 4 speed - 3.55 posi
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 03:01 AM

Keep the paint. It's a huge value booster in the collector world.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
very nice car, classic color and look with the poverty caps...touch-up, buff it and drive it, its not a survivor anymore after you paint it. welcome to the forum

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the resposes and warm welcome! I am in agreement with all to keep the original paint. Ive had many people tell me that i need to repaint it so I wanted some opinions from some true gto enthusiasts to help me decide. A follow up question if I may? The original owner blew the original 389 4v in 1968 and replaced the motor with a 1968 400 4v from a gto. In the 70's due to the gas crisis, he replaced the carter afb and intake with a holley economaster 2v. He kept the carter and intake and I have them. Currently the car is starting and running fine. The carter would require a mild rebuild, but I can handle that. Opinions wanted as to keeping the setup as is or replace with the carter? I would like to take it to local drive up car shows. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Paint Shop Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in