Two Tone Paint - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Two Tone Paint

I purchased my 69 GTO a few years ago. Somehow, I totally missed that it was a 2 tone car when I purchased it. The original color was lower paint: matador red and upper paint: cameo white.

At some point the whole car had been painted matador red.

I'm looking to have the car repainted later this year and had a few questions:

1. Did all 2 tone cars have the belt trim? This trim was never there when I bought the car so I'd need to acquire it from a former vinyl top car? Is there anything besides the belt molding that is different on a two tone goat?

2. How rare was the two tone paint? I've only seen it in pictures; never in person.

Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
have never seen one in person either, but that red white combo looks nice on verts. Think Ames has the beltline trim. could always have someone photoshop it onto a pic of your car to see if you like it before taking the plunge (drilling holes in your roof pillar)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 12:16 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Two tone paint was more common in the early years: I've seen several '64's and '65's with painted roofs. Vinyl tops were more popular than painted ones. I have never seen a painted roof on a later car like yours, so it's pretty rare. If it were me, I'd paint the car all one color or keep it that way. The painted car tops I have seen all used the vinyl top stainless belt trim .

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 10:28 PM

I have seen several 1969 painted top cars including one Matador Red/ Cameo White car. They are rather unusual and seldom seen. All two tone cars had the vinyl top trim.

I have seen two '69 Judges both two tone cars from the same dealership in Rochester, MN. One was Carousel Red/Black and the other Crystal Turquoise/White.

I also own a '70 Judge two tone car. Factory colors were Granada Gold/Sienna Yellow with Sandal wood interior. Talk about a wild combo!

Unless your car is rare or matching numbers, you should paint it however you like. If you need the trim, I have a complete set available.

John
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 06:50 PM

here ya go

pic from a for sale site!! Looks good, but I still prefer solid colors. 2 tones are for trucks...imo

Ric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 tone.jpg
Views:	1322
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	11956  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Paint Shop Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in