User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
why does this stain keep coming back in splatter paint

hi, i painted trunk with the crap splatter paint the the PARTS PLACE sells, some water got into trunk months after i painted it, now i have this stain in the splatter, but after a week or so it faded, but now weeks later it has come back again, i aired it out in the sun yesterday and it faded again almost gone, now today i check and stain is back, whats going on here ? i am going to clear coat it but buggered if i know about this mystery stain that goes and comes back,,,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	47002   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	366.4 KB
ID:	47010   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	354.5 KB
ID:	47018  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 11:45 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
That's weird. My take is that the water soaked thru the paint, which was/is porous, and now there may be some moisture under the paint or the composition of the paint changed. It could also have been hard water, and not the paint is calcium stained. Can you sand it out and re-shoot? Looks like it was a very well done job, prior to the mishap.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta62 View Post
hi, i painted trunk with the crap splatter paint the the PARTS PLACE sells, some water got into trunk months after i painted it, now i have this stain in the splatter, but after a week or so it faded, but now weeks later it has come back again, i aired it out in the sun yesterday and it faded again almost gone, now today i check and stain is back, whats going on here ? i am going to clear coat it but buggered if i know about this mystery stain that goes and comes back,,,
Try sealing the stains with some exterior spar varnish to seal the stain, sand it then reapply with good splatter paint or any left overs you have and clear coat it. You don't want to clear the stain you'll regret it. If you have a trunk mat it will hide this too but if you want to correctly do it, seal that stain so it will not bleed through then re-shoot it and apply a couple coats of clear satin.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
i sprayed the trunk first time used 2 tubs of the splatter, but it was so lumpy i wasnt happy, the splatter paint was off or something but i used it anyway which was a mistake, so i ordered another 2 tubs of splatter, this 2nd lot of splatter was much better though still not great, i sanded and sprayed another 2 tubs of splatter on it, this time it looks good, so it has 4 tubs of splatter on there now !
but that 4 tubs of splatter cost me $160 just for the postage, plus splatter cost, i'm in australia, so for me to sand and redo its another order of paint plus shipping, i dont have any paint left, and i'm really over the whole deal i just hope this stain does disappear , trunk lid is up and i am waiting, it seems a little less noticeable today but thats happened before then it comes back, like the other day , a whole day in the sun and stain was gone, next morning stain is back,
i am tempted to buy just one tub more to give it another coat which would cover stain but hell i'm over it... and i hate to give those guys at parts place any more money....fingers crossed stain goes for good...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 09:29 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
I used a spray bomb on my '67 about 15 years ago to touch it up and it cost a total of $8. Still looks great. My '67 has turqoise in the mix, though, and isn't black like yours is. This stuff was never clear-coated at the factory....it was just sprayed on haphazardly.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
well stain was still there this morning no change, so i decided to take a risk on something, i got a sponge a wet the entire trunk area this morning, i hope that it all becomes one big stain !...late this afternoon it now seems to be dry and the trunk looks all the same and stain seems to be gone, i can see i very tiny hint of it, but really so far it looks good, the water seems to bleach it a shade or 2 lighter which is fine if it all stays the same, so now i wait to see what happens overnight but so far its looking good....2 pics attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050804.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	47058   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050807.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	47066  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Paint Shop Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in